Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just handed in my 2 weeks notice at work. With (newly increased) daycare costs etc it does not make sense for me to continue to work.<br><br>
We are going to be on an INCREDIBLY tight budget, and I somehow need to earn $500 a month for insurance. Not sure how I'm going to do that yet, but it is a priority.<br><br>
Gulp. I'm freaking out. I'm THRILLED to know that I am going to be at home with my girls, but I'm also stressed out about my loss of independence, and about where I'm going to get that $500. I'm guessing I'm going to need to find a graveyard shift job so DH can watch the girls while I'm at work.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Congratulations!!<br><br>
It will take a while to get used to your new situation. I know that at first, it made me question my identity and it took me a while to feel grounded in being a SAHM. But, it will come. :)<br><br>
As for the money, I think there is a forum on here for work at home jobs. Maybe they would have some help?<br><br>
Good luck! And enjoy every moment!<br>
Rebecca

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Consider workign from home. In the beginning it'll be hard as you build your name around the community, but it is something that can definitly bring in that much/month and then some. You really have to be careful about where you work though. Direct sales CAN work, but many times you have ot pay a minimum amount each month to stay active, buy product, or build up a certain amount of $ in commission before you can get a check... But it can be done. I've worked with a few that have been successful for me, so if you want some ideas feel free to contact me.Then there are actual WAHM companies where you literally do work at home for a paycheck, but talk to people before getting involved to see exactly what is involved, if they've ever recieved a paycheck, look to the BBB, etc.<br><br>
The one thing you can do to work from home is actually start your very own business - not be tied into direct sales or anything. That is what I have done to help us keep ends tied at home. I am a childbirth/new parent educator and used to do a lot of teaching with that, though now I am focusing on writing books and doing occasional classes, demonstrations, etc. But when you are truley self employed, there comes a lot of stress as far as making money by the time you need if and you being the only way to mae it happen :) But for many, myself included, it is very enjoyable and very rewarding.<br><br>
There are many ins. companies that will work with self employed business owners for ins. too.<br><br>
Hope you find a good solution!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know what you are going thru...6 months ago I did the same thing. I worked full time for 6 years and we have 2 kids in school and a 3 yr old. We did the daycare thing for a couple of years but ds was not doing well there, and I realized that I was spending an entire 2 weeks pay on daycare alone.<br>
It was very scary and difficult at first to get used to being home and not bringing in any income.<br>
One place for you to check out would be wahm.com. It is a work at home forum that has numerous legitimate companies listed where you can work at home. There is info on how to apply to each company and the people on the board are great!<br>
That is how I found my current wah job and I bring in about $500 a month doing data entry from home.<br>
Good luck to you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts