Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have been trying for about a month... month & a half to find an alternative to my antiperspirant. I happen to be blessed with many sweat glands... and can't go without anything, otherwise I am stinking up the joint within two hours.

I have tried the crystal, the crystal spray, Jason's Tea Tree, Tom's of Maine, and a couple others. The crystal ones did not work at all for me. Jason's and Tom's worked for a limited amount of time.

What worked wonders for me was when I applied baking soda directly to my underarms... unfortunately, after 4 days of this, my under arms broke out so badly that I could hardly move my arms.
: I applied the weleda diaper cream (totally cleared the rash, and was hoping that it would serve as an anti-stink remedy - I read it worked for someone in another thread
) And now... I am back to square one.

Now, I have to wear something to not stink. I am a massage therapist, and clients' noses become more sensitive as they relax... so I would like something that hardly smells... but most importantly, I can't stink.

Tonight I mixed up a batch of rubbing alcohol and EOs (TTO, Lavendar, Chamomile, Sweet Orange and a couple drops of Rose Absolute). I figured that should help with killing some of the bacteria, and also have a very mild, nice smell to it.

Has anyone else tried this? I am going to try it out tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this problem???? Any other possible suggestions? Or am I doomed to spend my days applying and reapplying Tom's deod., or throw in the towel all together and go back to my Secret!

Help!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I've had the best luck with Burt's Bees Herbal Deoderant Spray, combined with a good rubbing alcohol wipe in my pits after showering.
I'm on the stinky-side too.
The only Jason's that works for me is the Apricot, for some reason.
I may as well have been rubbing a river rock in my pits for all the good the crystal did for me, ditto for the Liquid Crystal from Kiss My Face.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone
I'm pretty darn stinky, and I use Lavender EO. It works pretty well.
Do you use the Lavendar EO straight? Or with something else.

BTW, Dalai... I know what you mean about might as well use a river rock. It was like I used nothing at all. If this new concoction doesn't work, I will try the Burts. There's gotta be something out there that will work for me, right?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I agree with the above. Also, don't forget to drinks los of water each day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Are you drinking coffee or black tea? I find that I can get by with just the crystal or some rubbing alcohol. But ONLY if I don't drink caffeine. Caffeine sends my sweat glands into overdrive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marni
Are you drinking coffee or black tea? I find that I can get by with just the crystal or some rubbing alcohol. But ONLY if I don't drink caffeine. Caffeine sends my sweat glands into overdrive.
Nope, no caffeine for me. All I have been drinking is decaf green tea, H2O, and every once in a while... a decaf diet pepsi. About a year ago, I weaned myself off caffeine... and now the least bit sends me through the roof... so I avoid it like the plague.

So far, so good with my rubbing alcohol/EO concoction. Will check in later with the day end results!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Yep, I use it neat. Three drops on a tissue rubbed under my arms. No irritation or anything. Lavender and Tea Tree (which I use neat on my face for blemishes) are two that are safe for most people to use neat.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Did you try the Naturade seasons ones (comes in spring summer autumn and winter)

Winter has no scent and autumn made our pits itch but we REALLY like spring and summer. Summer is a sort of "old spice" scent that is great for a good odor and I hardly sweat at all when I have it on. It uses some combination of ingredients in plants that prevent the bacteria from forming that cause the odor. (cause it's not the sweat that smells but the bacteria that like to grow in a sweaty armpit)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Stinky mama here, too :LOL I've had to rotate out of all the products you've listed; they'd work for a while, then BAM back to onion!
Now I use the Kiss my Face Liquid Rock, roll-on, (I like patchuli, there is unscented) and sometimes Jason's Clearly Fresh, solid-stick. The roll-on works best, even, ahem, if you just might happen, just once in a while, to go a while between showers and apply a fresh coat of deodorant daily
: like camping, yeah, like camping!

~diana

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
When I went a/p and deo free, I did a baking soda soak once/day. I also put it under my armpits, but you already said that broke you out.

Maybe doing a daily soak would help? Just sprinkle some in a tub of water and soak. It really helps! Some days when I soak, I don't even have to bother putting anything on my pits. I also stopped wearing lotions, as they just clog the pores and contribute to any nastiness I experience.

Now, I can drip sweat out of my pits (and, believe me, I do!) and I don't stink. I smell my clothes the next day to check, and they just have a slight odor, but nothing anyone could find offensive. I've been a/p and deo free for about a month. It's great!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
I've been trying to go all natural without much success too.
I hate that I have several crunchy deod. that dont' work and I don't want to return them to Whole Foods b/c I'll be embarrassed.

Today was a hot, busy day. This morning I put a drop of GSE (grapefruit seed extract) under each pit and topped it off with previously ineffective KMF Liquid Rock.
14 hrs later there is NO smell whatsoever and I just checked...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello, I may be repeating myself because I posted this to someone last week but...

If you take a chlorophyll supplement it will help freshen you from the inside out. Also, if you are not breastfeeding try eating lots of sage. It dries up milk production so perhaps it will dry up sweat glands a bit too. My skin is very sensitive and I happen to be one of the stinky ones too. Recently, I bought a deodorant from Grandpa's call Le Stick by Nature de France with tea tree oil. It works better than any other natural I've tried. It contains tea tree oil, green clay, grapefruit seed extract, baking soda, witch-hazel and chlorophyll as the active ingredients. The fragrance is nice and herby. The other options are unscented, powder fresh (contains white clay instead of green) and fresh gardinia.

HTH,
Marvel

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm a very stinky mommy too. I found that Aubrey Organics Calendula spray works really nicely. It contains some grain alcohol but lots of other things that keep my very sensitive skin from getting irritated. I also always carry an extra in a bag, when I go to the bathroom I always freshen up with an extra spritx here and there. This has been working for me even in the NYC heat & humidity while I carry my 20 pound babe around!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts