Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting this is TAO because it is mostly about my relationship with my SIL more than anything else. If it should be moved, just let me know!<br><br>
I'll start by saying that I love my SIL dearly, I consider her my best friend and sister. That said, we have vastly different parenting styles, and differ on some key issues...<br><br>
She jumps to take the kids to the doctor for every single sniffle, sneeze, cough, or low-grade fever. And gets antibiotics every time! My oldest nephew is 7 and has had antibiotics so many times that he's developed resistance to many of the common ones and they keep having to go stronger and stronger. In all honesty, I can say that he's been on antibiotics about 8-10 times in the past year alone!!<br><br>
Here's the thing, he was diagnosed with hearing loss and is nearly deaf in one ear. Not minor hearing loss, by any means, and it's getting worse. There is no consensus on what caused it, yet, since it's a new diagnosis, but loud noise, illness, and family history can be ruled as very unlikely. After the diagnosis, SIL mentioned that a recent antibiotic he was on was ototoxic (and probably several before that, but that was the most recent).<br><br>
Anyway, my 3yo nephew is about to be taken to the doctor for antibiotics for a sniffle and I just. want. to. scream!!! I KNOW that all I can really do is remind her to ask for one that is known not to be ototoxic, but I am just soooooo frustrated!! Even if antibiotics <i>weren't</i> the cause of the hearing loss, wouldn't you want to stay away from unnecessary antibiotics until further notice? I want to call her because my little nephew isn't feeling well, but I just am so frustrated...ARGH!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm surprised the Dr would even prescribe antibiotics for such minor things. really, that's malpractice IMO. Misusing antibiotics is a very bad idea with superbugs around these days.<br><br>
I didn't know they could cause hearing loss.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am wary of the doc for prescribing so many antibiotics, especially for minor things and for things that antibiotics are KNOWN not to work for. However, I took DD1 to this doctor when she got infected bed bug bites and impetigo from a hotel bed. He's an excellent diagnostician, but waaaay too soft a touch for pushy patients.<br><br>
That's why it's so frustrating, between her doctor willing to prescribe and SIL's mother who is, well, a piece of work herself. Her mother was raised in the household of the shah of Iran back before the revolution and she is used to getting whatever she demands. I think SIL does a lot of this to appease her mother, and if she doesn't her mother will wear her down until she swallows whatever her mother is telling her. That's why everyone, including my brother, are so helpless in this situation! My brother has learned to just throw up his hands, and my mother and I just have to struggle to hold our tongues!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Ugh, how frustrating.<br><br>
DH's SIL has 3 kids. The two older ones got sick one right after the other and were DIAGNOSED by the doctor as having a routine virus. When the youngest one got sick the next week he was given antibiotics...??? I remember talking to DH and saying, "But he has the same symptoms and they just have a virus!" I couldn't understand it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts