Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but i get nervous about doing something without a pattern.........

i need to knit super quick legwarmers for a 4 year old girl...........

anyone have a pattern or a quick suggestion as to what you would do?

i assume it needs to be ribbed - at least at the top and bottom...right?

i really hope i can use circs b/c dpns won't make this a quick project for me unless its with larger needles....(like size 8s)

i can use my 5yo ds as a model for length i suppose...but how many stitches would you cast on inititally?

thanks!!!! gonna go hide from embarassment now.....

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
pick your yarn- pick some needles- do a swatch. count your stitches, and figure that up to what you need the circumfrence to be. You could do a rib for the whole length- that would give you a little more room for guessing when you are choosing the circumference.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I think it's hard to find circulars that small. If you want super easy, maybe knit a rectangle in a rib knit, maybe 2 knits, 2 purls, etc, for a double width rib. Then sew it up to form a tube. A little girl isn't going to notice that there is a seam. You could even sew it up with narrow ribbon and have a bow to make it a feature instead of a flaw.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
yeah, I don't think you could do it on circs if you want them to be snug enough to stay up. You could work it side-to-side (casting on for the whole height that you want it from ankle to thigh) and then work 4 rows of stockinette, 4 rows reverse stickinette, repeat, for however big the circumference needs to be (minus 15-20% for snug-ness) and then seam it together. That way you can do it flat and not have to worry about DPNs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I saw some other thread somewhere about people using the smallest (flower?) size of the Knifty Knitter, those round hoops that you use, to make babylegs or legwarmers size... you could try that if you prefer.

Or you could do the Magic Loop technique (look it up on google if you don't want to watch the video) with a circular needle - it's easy once you try it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ooh i actually have one of those knifty knitters that i have never used!!!!!!! i thought about that initially but didn't know if it would work!!!

now to just figure it out!

thanks!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
super easy (what I would do), would be to garter stitch a flat rectangle where the width is the the height of the legwarmer (measure from knee to ankle), and then keep checking the length against the circumference of the the leg. Then, when it fits, sew up the sides (I normally crochet it together.)

The garter behaves the same way as a rib when it's turned sideways.

Of course, this only works if you have the person handy. This is how I make stuff for DH. He's constantly wearing things with knitting needles still in them.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
i just finished some with magic loop...easy peasy!
my girls have skinny legs and like babylegs style, so i just found a pattern on ravelry and cut it down in the cast on. did a k1 p1 ribbing for 3 inches, knit until desired length, then k1 p1 for 3 inches and bound off..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.