Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And so it begins. I've learned to knit now. I'm a dish towel-making machine! I haven't learned anything other than knitting and perling and the combination of the two. I haven't learned to increase or decrease yet but I'll give it a try after I'm done with my latest dish towel. So far, I love the Sugar and Cream brand yarn. I have exactly two pair of needles - size 8 and 10, long plastic things.

This totally beats crocheting. It's such a challenge to machine-sew something, or scrapbook, or paint because my kids get clingy when they see me hovered over a project like that. But with knitting, I can just take it with me. I can knit on the floor with them while they play. I can knit in the car, anywhere really. This is awesome! I'm hooked!

Any advice on getting started? Any pointers? If I get ambitious, I'll post pictures of my beloved dish towels.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Congrats! It is very addicting. I love it for all the same reasons you do. Right now, I'm doing some sewing projects and its such a mess, and this huge ordeal, yk? I love that with knitting I can just start it up, then set it down, then start back up again. No real mess, no hassle, small and portable...

I second knitty.com. Also, I recommend getting yourself a good knitting book. Stitch n Bitch is a great one to start off with, or if you have the money, Vogue Knitting is the holy bible of all knitting books!

Have fun

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you don't have the money for Vogue Knitting, get the Vogue Knitting Quick Reference one. It's spiral bound and has pretty much everything you ever need to know, and a lot less than the big Vogue book (which I'd love to have but can't afford!).

Alison

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Congrats!
I taught myself to knit last winter and enjoy it alot.
I have amassed a huge stash of wool yarns that I'll probably not get to use anytime soon, although it's fun to collect it.

I have the Vogue Knitting book and it's awesome!
Pretty much everything you could ever wanna know is in there!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamaya
Congrats! It is very addicting. I love it for all the same reasons you do. Right now, I'm doing some sewing projects and its such a mess, and this huge ordeal, yk? I love that with knitting I can just start it up, then set it down, then start back up again. No real mess, no hassle, small and portable...

I second knitty.com. Also, I recommend getting yourself a good knitting book. Stitch n Bitch is a great one to start off with, or if you have the money, Vogue Knitting is the holy bible of all knitting books!

Have fun

I actually just bought the Stitch 'n' Bitch book last night - it's great! There is a second book that I'm asking for for Christmas. They had a pattern for fish net stockings that was way cool.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
That is really cool! I learned to knit last year, too and it has given me a creative outlet that I can do (somewhat!) with small kids and carry around in the car. Soon you'll be knitting all kinds of stuff and surprise yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.