Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coopnwhitsmommy
Dumbo Is cool. And My Son is SOOOO Smart. In the opening scenes when the storks are dropping off the babies he says. "that's not how babies are born" :LOL
:LOL how cute! DD LOVES Dumbo, it's the movie of choice this week!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
That movie never fails to make me cry........everytime I watch the scene where the mouse brings Dumbo to visit his mother................
and that song plays "Baby of mine.....Oh, baby of mine......" i can't help it, my eyes fill with tears......and when she reaches her trunk out of the cage to hold him and rock him.......

I can't even talk about it, I start crying. I feel my eyes filling up right now......

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenkids
That movie never fails to make me cry........everytime I watch the scene where the mouse brings Dumbo to visit his mother................
and that song plays "Baby of mine.....Oh, baby of mine......" i can't help it, my eyes fill with tears......and when she reaches her trunk out of the cage to hold him and rock him.......

I can't even talk about it, I start crying. I feel my eyes filling up right now......

Me too!! I just can't take it.
I have trouble with the Fox and the Hound too....

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I was at the birth center doing prenatals, and they had Dumbo on the vcr for the kids in the playroom. I walked by to get some water and The Scene was on. I just sat there and sobbed until they found me.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Yeah, Dumbo's so cute. Those black crows -- adorable! And the sweet little faceless black laborers. So funny the way they sing about getting their pay and then spending it away
And those alcoholic clowns and the animal cruelty, they just keep me gigglin' every time I see it :LOL

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by girlndocs
Yeah, Dumbo's so cute. Those black crows -- adorable! And the sweet little faceless black laborers. So funny the way they sing about getting their pay and then spending it away
And those alcoholic clowns and the animal cruelty, they just keep me gigglin' every time I see it :LOL

Yeah...Disney isn't known for PC.

I wish they would make versions of Dumbo where it would skip over that or a version of Peter Pan where it skipped over the NA bit.

Or Pocahontas where you could skip the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coopnwhitsmommy
ahhh yes. I never realized the amount of racisim in it when I was a child. I just paid attention to the story line. Ya know Misfit kid goes big time.

Dumbo is very racist and I think kids get subtle messages (and NOT so subtle) all the time. I feel terribly sorry for Dumbo and his mother. That sad scene is terrible and my dd saw a part of it at a friends when she was around 4 and started bawling. It was terrible. Now, she writes letters to Disney telling them how awful their movies are

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Dumbo is very racist and I think kids get subtle messages (and NOT so subtle) all the time. I feel terribly sorry for Dumbo and his mother. That sad scene is terrible and my dd saw a part of it at a friends when she was around 4 and started bawling. It was terrible. Now, she writes letters to Disney telling them how awful their movies are

Your kid sounds pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Dumbo is very racist and I think kids get subtle messages (and NOT so subtle) all the time.
Exactly! Kids are designed to absorb subtle messages. You can argue, like my FIL, that you "never noticed that stuff" as a kid, but that's exactly the point. Little kids don't notice it, they simply absorb it, and since little kids are not in a position to analyze the different era and cultural norms that these messages come from, they internalize them as part of what is normal in their world.

Those internalized messages stay there unless and until they root it out as adults, and they are a huge part of why we still have so much racism, sexism and homophobia in our culture.

Yuck yuck yuck.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abimommy
Yeah...Disney isn't known for PC.

That's an understatement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abimommy
Or Pocahontas where you could skip the whole thing.
ditto.

We don't do Disney in our house.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Am I the only one here who hasn't seen the Dumbo movie?

I read some Dumbo books as a child, and I remember the big ears and him flying, but that's about it!

Well, you know what they say about guys with big ears :LOL

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Not that you're aware of, no. That's the point.

Notice you say this after admitting you realize the movie is racist now, but you're still OK with showing it to little kids.

Reminds me of people who say, "I was spanked and it never did me any harm" and then haul off and whack their kids on the butt.

Thanks for perpetuating the stereotypes to another generation

1 - 20 of 65 Posts