Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...it's so nice to post something positive --

I love my work. I'm sitting here in my coffee-smelling house, writing a story about a famous physicist to illustrate some language-arts concepts, listening to Rostropovich play Bach cello concertos on my kickass speakers that I've somehow ignored for the last four years.

And I'm showing my girl how mama brings it home. First thing we did this morning when we got up was grab some milk in a sippy, get in the car with the manuscripts from late last night, and go drop them off. (I was checking a science text; actually had some scary hours yesterday, realized I'd forgotten some of my bio & didn't really have time to learn again how the Calvin cycle works.) I'm so glad we do that -- some of my most vivid childhood memories are of going with my father or grandfathers to work. Came back from that, got dressed, and we were off to gymnastics. And now I'd better get back to work before I have more panicky deadline moments.

(I hear Rostropovich was a real PITA but man he knows how to make with the bow.)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now if only I could get the deadlines to slow down...HA! Actually we interviewed the first morning-nanny applicant today, and I think we're going to be good for this WAH/pt-daycare thing.

=) Ccn, my dad was first-generation clueless, and I grew up with pretty limited education that way -- I just wasn't interested. Had a few classical records of my own that I played over & over, and had to saw my way through a few Suzuki books, but didn't know anything about musicians, conductors, etc. Had a fancy boyfriend in college with a summer house in Salzburg & a dad who ran a big high-end industrial-audio-equip company, so I heard an awful. lot. of Mozart then, and along the way accidentally got a job as a university music librarian (very small collection in a very small music dept), where I just listened to everything I could. About ten years ago I went on a BMG bender and just ordered everything that sounded important, and I'm still listening. And still thoroughly ignorant.

Stbx is the real music guy around here, was a woodwind-performance major. I've been hoping he'd try to open up that world for dd, but for some reason it really hasn't happened much...I don't really understand why, can only guess it's to do with the depression. He doesn't play anymore.

Try Jacqueline du Pre for cello, btw, if you haven't. I don't listen to her anymore while I'm working because she's too distractingly good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is great! I am jealous, but also happy for you.

I'd love to do freelance writing, but I'm not sure how to get into it. I wrote an introduction to a book a couple years ago, but then the book itself was cancelled.
:

-Katy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.