Mothering Forum banner

I made butter in my stand mixer!

627 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  lilsparrow 
#1 ·
That was so much fun and so so so so easy. I intend on making all my butter at home now!

#5 ·
Making butter is super easy. I put cream in a bowl and beat the crap out of it for about twenty minutes. It goes thick, then to soft whipped cream, then stiff whipped cream and finally it separates into yellow stuff in cloudy water. The yellow stuff is butter, the cloudy stuff is buttermilk. I squeeze the butter to get all of the buttermilk out, then wash it in icy salt water before I separate it into sticks and wrap it in wax paper.

I'd love to hear your recipe, Allborntogrow. I use a regular cheapy mixer and it always turns out wonderful. And we use the buttermilk to make pancakes.
:

#6 ·
Thank you so much for posting this!

We've been making butter by shaking the cream in a canning jar. Good exercise, but it doesn't make much at a time & sure takes a long time!
So...I'd been eyeing the butter churns in the Lehmans catalog and thinking of asking for one for my birthday.

I already have a mixer so this will not only save us money, but space as well!

Thanks again!

#7 ·
What a great idea!!! Thanks for the recipe, Phantaja. I also got a kitchenaid mixer this christmas and love finding new uses for it! I might just have to try this tomorrow or Sunday! Would love to hear other recipes.

Also can you use raw milk or just organic milk or does it have to be cream? And do you just use the wisk attachment or do you switch it out when it gets firmer? Forgive my ignorance. I'm so excited about this. I can't believe the thought to make my own butter never dawned on me!

#9 ·
It definately has to be heavy cream. I was making butter once and was beatinig it for almost forty five minutes, getting EXTREMEMLY frustrated...then I looked in the trash and found out that I'd been beating half and half. And I don't change the attachment. I use the plain old beater thing that came with the mixer.

#11 ·
If you're using a Kitchen-aid, I would use the whisk attachment. You could use the paddle, but it would take WAY longer.

If you want a good arm workout, put the cream in a jar, put the lid on tight and shake it till your arms feel like they're going to fall off. Then shake it some more. And maybe some more. Eventually, you'll have butter (and really tired, sore arms!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.