Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little nervous, I guess I don't really know what to expect. And I have to take 18month old DD b/c she didn't have any evening or weekend appointments available right now, maybe later though. I saw my regular doctor today but she didn't want to give me antidepressants b/c I'm nursing. I was going to lie about it and then didn't, kinda wish I had.

Anyway, I'm gonna go out tomorrow and get some "therapy toys", a few toys or puzzles that DD will only have during my appointments, so hopefully she'll be content and relatively quiet. They said usually bringing children "doesn't work out".

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good for you for making the step! I hope that your appointment goes well. The first appointment is usually more of a getting to know you appointment, so having your DC with you should be okay. And as far as the meds go, you may need to see a different doctor. I know that Zoloft and Prozac are safe for nursing, your regular doctor probably isn't trained to deal with psychopharmacology, and so wouldn't necessarily know the recent data on SSRI's and breastfeeding. Your therapist may want you to see a psychiatrist for the meds anyway.
If you want to be armed with some data, Kellymom is a great online resource for "is this safe while breastfeeding" issues with current data.
I was so scared to start Zoloft, but I did 2 weeks ago and am so glad I did. I have seen no negative effects in my 15 mo DD.
Hope that helps!
Heidi

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just wanted to encourage you for making the appointment! I hope it goes well. I think everyone should go to therapy at some point in their lives, just to have help sorting everything out! And I've been on prozac for a year with no ill side effects to myself or dd. Kellymom is a great resource and as the pp said, your Dr. probably isn't up on the latest info.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Your Dr. shouldn't be discouraging you by saying bringing children doesnt usually work out! While it may be true, you have enough to worry about...

But good for you for taking this step! I know from experience it's a darn hard one to take!

Just make sure they treat you well and give you something if you need it, not that weening crap they tend to give BF'ing mamas!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, let me first say that I was very surprised to see how supportive she was of nursing a toddler, and cosleeping. I was expecting her to give parenting advice when she learned that my 19 month old is up several times a night. Yeah! Having said that though, I don't know how much I'm going to get out of this. I've only has two sessions, so we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.