Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with a base of dr. drauners but I added a bunch.

Ingredients:

Dr brauners unscented bar soap
organic vegetable glycerine
mango butter (similar to shea)
lavender
oat hearts
aloe

It smells SOOOOOOO good!!!! I enjoyed doin this, I mean a LOT. I want to do some more! I might make a bunch more. I'm not sure. I was thinking of making my own soap not from bar soap, but I am not sure if I want to use lye.

Any experiences among you more accomplished mamas?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Warning: soapmaking is addicting! If you feel like trying it from scratch, the best source on the web for starting out right is millersoap.com - it has all the info you'll need and then some. Have fun!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
You will have to use lye unless you are doing more melt and pour. I strongly suggest reading "The Natural Soap Book" by Susan ****** Cavitch. I have been interested in making soap and have been focused on learning as much as possible about it for a couple months now. I have my lye waiting but I am nervous, and also thinking it would be best if I wait until we move so I will have a place to let the soap cure. Oh I found a great link on another post Im going to go look for it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
http://www.soapsbyjan.com/

"YIKES! I'm making soap with drain cleaner?
This was my first thought when I began studying the soap making process. Lye, otherwise known as sodium hydroxide, is an alkali that is a necessary ingredient for soap making. Lye got a bad reputation from the old days that lingers on today. Many of us remember our grandmothers making lye soap that would burn your skin or cause itching. This is because they could not regulate it. The lye from a hardwood tree is very different than that of a softwood tree. Now the lye is completely regulated and when used corrected is completely safe. "

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I want to make soap SOOOOOOOO bad!!!

Congrats!

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by velcromom
Warning: soapmaking is addicting! If you feel like trying it from scratch, the best source on the web for starting out right is millersoap.com - it has all the info you'll need and then some. Have fun!!

Thanks for that link!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
They look great!
Soap and bath products are my new hobby as well! I'm just waiting for payday so I can some more additives. I'm dying too try it from scratch. But my kitchen is too small and crowded, not enough counter space too work safely. So I will wait until I move. For now commercial bar and melt and pour will have too do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.