Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just so pleased with myself that I have to brag.
I made my own sushi last night.....and it came out almost perfect. I've heard that Japanese chefs train for years to make sushi, so I didn't expect my first attempt to turn out so well. I didn't do anything fancy of course. I did some vegetarian rolls (with cucumber and avocado) and some rolls with raw salmon. Hurray for me!

By the way, does anyone know how to make their own wasabi? The only kind I could find at the market has blue and yellow dye.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love making sushi!!!!!!

I've found wasabi in powder form at our Co-op. Emperor's Kitchen brand. It's not organic, but I think it's still good.....lemmee check......yup! Ingredients: authentic powdered wasabi, horseradish, mustard.

I've used brown basmati rice and white sushi rice. The sushi rice works so much better but I don't like using white rice. Does anyonw know of a brown sushi rice out there?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yum! I love making sushi at home!

I learned recently that almost all of the "wasabi" we use in the U.S. is not real wasabi, it's dyed horseradish. I found a place online to get the real thing: http://www.freshwasabi.com/

It's a splurge, though!

Short grain brown rice will work, but it's just never goint to be as sticky as white sushi rice. Leaving the protective bran on the rice keeps the starches from gooping it all up and making it sticky. I think it's tastier, though!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the wasabi link. It is quite a splurge, but a little goes a long way.

When you use brown rice, do your rolls fall apart?

What do you guys usually stuff your sushi with? I'm open to some new ideas.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sometimes I make cone-shaped handrolls to hold in the rice instead of rolling them with the mat... it's like sushi ice cream!

I also love making inari, or "fox pockets" - you can usually find the tofu wrapper fresh or canned at an Asian food store. I mix up a batch of sushi rice with shredded carrot, shiitake mushrooms, whatever veggies I have on hand and just use that to stuff the tofu pockets or put into handroll.

Another favorite is onigiri, or rice balls... you pretty much need to use white rice for those, though. I love them with just a dollop of miso stuffed inside and wrapped with freshly toasted nori. Yum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts