Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
make more $$ so dh can be a SAHD.

(I have an interview--I'm not sure what my chances are of getting the position.)

BUT.....I'd have to work more hours, and do something I like less.....

for the benefit of dh not having to work out of town and ds (1) not being in daycare at all. (Right now he's in part time daycare).

Obviously they haven't offered me the position yet but I want to get all of my thoughts in order ahead of time.

Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its hard to form an opinion because there are not enough facts. I wouldn't want to work more hours at a job I like less if I was making enough money doing what I enjoy. The elimination of part-time childcare, provided it is quality childcare, would not be a significant consideration in moving to such a new job. I think the biggest benefit is that your dh will not be working out of town--that is very hard on young family. You are obviously thoughtful and I know you will make the right decision.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by redsmama
I wouldn't want to work more hours at a job I like less if I was making enough money doing what I enjoy.
Well, "enough" money is relative, obviously. Both my dh and I currently work. So yes, given that he works also, I make enough at the job I like. But, in order to afford him not working, I would have to make more money.

I guess my question is, for all the working mamas with working papas, would you take a higher paying job you liked less, in order for dh to be a sahd?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's a really interesting question. My partner is a woman, but TBH, *I* want to stay home. We talk about her staying home sometimes, but I would really prefer that if one of us stays home, it would be me. So I would be a little jealous if she was the one to stay home, I guess. But OTOH, my partner travels too and it's SOOOO hard on us, so if I could have a reasonable job that was "fine" just not the greatest thing ever, and she could stay home and nobody had to travel, that would mean more time together as a family and I think I'd do it.

Sigh. Tough choice. Good luck making the decision.

Cate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.