Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
make more $$ so dh can be a SAHD.<br><br>
(I have an interview--I'm not sure what my chances are of getting the position.)<br><br>
BUT.....I'd have to work more hours, and do something I like less.....<br><br><br>
for the benefit of dh not having to work out of town and ds (1) not being in daycare at all. (Right now he's in part time daycare).<br><br>
Obviously they haven't offered me the position yet but I want to get all of my thoughts in order ahead of time.<br><br>
Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its hard to form an opinion because there are not enough facts. I wouldn't want to work more hours at a job I like less if I was making enough money doing what I enjoy. The elimination of part-time childcare, provided it is quality childcare, would not be a significant consideration in moving to such a new job. I think the biggest benefit is that your dh will not be working out of town--that is very hard on young family. You are obviously thoughtful and I know you will make the right decision.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by redsmama</i><br><b>I wouldn't want to work more hours at a job I like less if I was making enough money doing what I enjoy.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
Well, "enough" money is relative, obviously. Both my dh and I currently work. So yes, given that he works also, I make enough at the job I like. But, in order to afford him not working, I would have to make more money.<br><br>
I guess my question is, for all the working mamas with working papas, would you take a higher paying job you liked less, in order for dh to be a sahd?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's a really interesting question. My partner is a woman, but TBH, *I* want to stay home. We talk about her staying home sometimes, but I would really prefer that if one of us stays home, it would be me. So I would be a little jealous if she was the one to stay home, I guess. But OTOH, my partner travels too and it's SOOOO hard on us, so if I could have a reasonable job that was "fine" just not the greatest thing ever, and she could stay home and nobody had to travel, that would mean more time together as a family and I think I'd do it.<br><br>
Sigh. Tough choice. Good luck making the decision.<br><br>
Cate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts