Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I just wanted to whine and say that I really miss my cheese. It is so hard to watch everyone around you eat whatever they want and you just sit and smile and act like it is no big deal at all. My 3 month old is allergic to dairy so that means no dairy for me. I am happy though that I can nurse him and give this beautiful gift of my milk to him. I just wanted to vent to some people who could relate

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hear you, sister....I would kill for a chocolate milkshake. If you hear about a woman killing for a milkshake, you'll know what that was about.

That's my whine, but I do have to admit that I have really gotten used to not eating dairy. I have started to let a little back in and have also been eating goat cheese. So far so good. I did have some pizza recently, though, and that child could have filled a hot air balloon with gas
: Well, we'll try again in another month or two...

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm with ya!! I *never* thought I'd be able to give up dairy but the more time that goes by the easier it is. It's just such a pain to read every label and miss out on so many things. Cheese and yogurt were a big part of quick protein snacks for me, and I do miss being able to make a quesadilla or cheese toast to grab and go. I also miss butter on my toast. And yeah, a milkshake...yum! Oh well, hopefully the little guy grows out of his sensitivity since I hope to be nursing him for a long, long time

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm about to miss it again. My milk is coming back for baby #2, so I need to give it up again for DD1 (am planning on tandem nursing). Full-fat organic coconut milk is a great dairy-substitute.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I just wanted to say that I have been where you all are and am now on the other side. My Ds has outgrown the dairy allergy. . at least through me eating it. and I must say that I had a hard time switching back to dairy. For awhile, I would ask Dh if the milk was bad before I drank it because it smelled so odd to me. But, I also must say that I have gained 3 lbs. from dairy.
No good for waistline, I guess!

Hopefully for those of you that miss it, I wish you outgrowing it vibes, so that you can continue on in dairy land.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
ravenscraft!

Here is what we do for a chocolate milkshake!

2 frozen bananas
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
1-2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 can coconut milk

I throw this all in a vitamix (a good blender would probably work too) and grind it up. Has the thickness of a milkshake.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would kill for a pizza
I have found that goat and sheep milk cheeses don't bother her, so I have those sometimes. But really, as someone said above, after I read about cow milk and health plus industry practices, I don't feel so bad about leaving it out. It's just hard to unlearn something you've done your whole life, that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Oh I totally miss dairy -- but I miss soy even more!!!

Still eating meat since Guinevere has a worse time dealing with soy in my diet than dairy even.

Sigh.

Here's what I eat in lieu of my nighttime ice cream: frozen fruit! We take cans of pineapple chunks, freash strawberries, blueberries, etc., and slice up apples, peaches and anything else around and put them in little plastic tubs in the freezer.

Perfect snack for those hot nights.

(But dang, sometimes I just want my Ben & Jerry's, you know?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I've also been on both sides. I gave up all dairy and soy for 6 months, then started eating it again and honestly, I wish I hadn't started eating it again. With the dairy and a thyroid problem I gained...16 or so pounds in ONE month. It was crazy. Now I'm addicted to the cheese again and feel unhealthy. I felt better when I wasn't drinking milk and eating cheese. Slowly trying to cut them out again.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to try that choc milkshake recipe THANKS Chanley!! Anyone else have any good recipes feel free to post them here
I have been reading about the milk out there and we have just recently (well..dh and older ds) to raw milk. But I really miss my cheese!! And now that you mention it Nighten, I could SO GO for aBen & Jerrys Mint Cookies and Cream....ugh. Well I am sure that my little guy will be so appreciative of my loss when he gets older...hahahaha yeah right!! But at least I will feel better for what I have given him!!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
my husbands cousin has a baby who has a dairy intollerance and she missed cheese too much so she went to elemental formula. costs her $45.00 for one can
:

your doing good for your little guy

·
Registered
738 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant
my husbands cousin has a baby who has a dairy intollerance and she missed cheese too much so she went to elemental formula. costs her $45.00 for one can
:
wow...that's one powerful cheese craving!

·
Registered
218 Posts
nak...been w/out dairy now for almost 7 mos. and i grew up on a dairy farm! argh! tough times. i've cut out soy milks now too but if yours can handle it and your jonesin' for chocolate, go get some choc Silk...seriously better than the real thing and goes GREAT in smoothies (like w/frozen bananas - oh slurp) My other naughty non-dairy sins: poptarts (many flavors are non-dairy) and Pillsbury's sugar cookie dough...oh, so so bad...but only once in a great while...i promise...
:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
For those of you craving ice cream, Purely Decadent Soy Delicious brand ice cream is absolutely the best commercial nondairy ice cream out there. They have a mint cookie flavourt that is amazing. The vanilla makes excellent milkshakes. Yum!

Also, I make dairy free pizza with frozen pizza crusts & Vegan Gourmet mozzarella "cheese." Frozen, thawed and then crumbled tofu marinated in some vinegar has a great 'zing' to it with a strong likeness to feta.

Tofutti cheese (in cheddar, mozzarella and pepper) slices have a likeness to "America cheese," but it melts like a dream making fabulously melty quesodillas (especially with some taco sauce!)

Earth Balance non hydrogenated margarine is identicle to the flavour of butter.

I know a lot of people don't like the "fake" products out there & would rather have the "real thing," but when you can't or don't consume dairy it's nice to have a commercial substitute vice that will fufill your cravings so that you don't end up with the "real" thing (ie gas & diarreah)

A few book suggestions:

The Uncheese Cookbook

Vice Cream

Vive Le Vegan <3 Dreena Burton!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
nak

forgot to mention tofutti cream cheese is also identical to the dairy version & when whipped with rainbow margarine & pwdered sugar it makes a decadant cream cheese frosting for yummy vegan carrotcake
:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.