Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
What do you miss about Germany, might I ask? I'm sorry to hear that you are homesick for Germany. It's never any fun to not be happy with where you are living.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lifestyle, public transportation, the food, the stores, the bakery, the butcher, being able to walk to your destination, the many parks and playgrounds, the food, the cafes, the marktplatz, the landscape, the food, the drinks, the festivals, did I mention the food? The list goes on.

And I'm so happy that Walmart was driven out.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
The lifestyle, public transportation, the food, the stores, the bakery, the butcher, being able to walk to your destination, the many parks and playgrounds, the food, the cafes, the marktplatz, the landscape, the food, the drinks, the festivals, did I mention the food? The list goes on.

I spent about 10 weeks in total in Munchen (well, sometime travelling around Bavaria is included in that total) in 1990. The main thing I loved was all those art galleries, I spent weeks in art galleries. Definitely time well spent. The public transportation was great but I wasn't in love with the food. The beer was good though, and this coming from someone who is not a lover of beer.

Were you from a smaller town?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It's nice to hear some perspective on some of the good things in Germany.
The grass is definitely greener on the other side...

But parks and playgrounds in the States are MUCH BETTER and cleaner. Here in BW (SW Deutschland) the grass in the playgrounds/parks isn't mowed very often (but the flower beds in front of the Rathäuser are always pristine - as are some of the flower bends on the roundabouts) and in this region there is a big danger of ticks. Plus the fact that it seems that some of the parks/playgrounds just aren't cleaned up too often (cigarette butts on the ground, broken glass, trash...).
But yes, some of those things you listed are nice.
You must have lived in a large city, because actually walking to a destination isn't always possible in the suburbs or in a rural area. But public transport is decent most of the time. I'll give you that.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh Mama! I got back to the states a year ago this week and I still cry everyday, NO JOKE! to go back. I am not a national to DE but I consider it my home. I only got to live there two years but more than once I day I think about picking up E ( who was concived and born there) and the dogs and going back and never turning back. I love my husband don't get me wrong but I would be willing to make it work long distance if I was in Germany. I told himn if he were to get deployed, which he can't here) I would go back to Germany and live with my German friends parents so my German could get back to good, E could go to GERMAN kindergarten and get the AMAZING experinces of knowing where he came from ( Landstuhl area) I want to live in my old village ( Neunkirschen am Potzberg) see my Backerei truck every morning at 11 and to hear that 700 year old church chime every hour. See AND smell the sheep and cows and geese walking up and town my street on the way to there fresh field. To watch the sun set at 1100 at night in the summer and to just smell the German air at a market. No to mention how natural being " crunchy" is over there! Damn it, now I am cring again!
:
Know that as you cry, another homesick mama is crying with you.

·
Registered
648 Posts
: I am often homesick, too.
I will go for 7 weeks in Ocy/Nov.

hugs,
Liane

·
Registered
22 Posts
I felt like that for 13 years
Every time that damn movie would come on (sound of music - i'm actually from the Salzburg, Austria area) i would just bawl my eyes out.

I got to move back 2 years ago. i will never ever ever ever leave again. ever.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollycrand View Post
But parks and playgrounds in the States are MUCH BETTER and cleaner. Here in BW (SW Deutschland) the grass in the playgrounds/parks isn't mowed very often ......Plus the fact that it seems that some of the parks/playgrounds just aren't cleaned up too often (cigarette butts on the ground, broken glass, trash...).
I'd agree with that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ever since reading this post, I have paid special attention to the general state of playgrounds here (all over the greater Salzburg, Austria area), city ones, or rural ones. I have found them all exceptionally clean, thankfully. Maybe it's because our economy thrives on tourism?...

In sw Fl, most were like the ones you describe for your areas in germany. filthy, disgusting, and some even dangerous. so, it really is the other way around for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my area of CA one needs to know which playgrounds to go to...which part of a town or which town. Some parks run rampant by gangsters (nortenos and surenos). I usually go to parks in Los Gatos, Monterey, and Carmel...as I know gangsters do not go to these parks. There are a couple close to my home which are ok...but not too many.

Anyone know how the parks in Bamberg are? Anyone been to Kristall Palm Beach schwimmbad?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Austrianchick,

I think Austria is MUCH more child friendly (probably because of so much tourism) and the parks are actually quite nice.
Actually, since I wrote the above post Stuttgart has made a BIG effort to clean up its parks. Still no green grass areas, but at least the parks are relatively clean.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LailaCA View Post
Anyone been to Kristall Palm Beach schwimmbad?
Yes and I hated it. It's dirty and old and you can find mold on the walls.
The only thing cool about it was the slide.
If you want to go to a nice spa-like schwimmbad go to the Frankentherme in Bad Windsheim.
It just doesn't have a slide or anything for kids, it's more of a grown-up thing.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post

I miss my friends, too. At least we still email.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My child and I really like to go swimming. Someone has commented on Kristall Palm Beach. Has anyone been to KissSalis in Bad Kissingen?

Thanks...I really want to take him to some outstanding pools.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Getting back to the parks, I just don't really like my crawling one year old playing amoungst the cigarette butts you find in German parks and in German Freibads. Yuck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts