Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was ready to let go of our nursing relationship shortly after DD turned 2. With a few rare exceptions, she hasn't really nursed since Christmas (28 months), and seems to have forgotten how to be "gentle". I just feel so sad that this special time is over and I still occassionally will offer it if she's very upset or sick. She'll suck twice and say, "no milk in it" and go back to playing. She's fine without it, but I'm still sad and keep waiting for it to feel normal. FWIW, I did have PPD, but this isn't a recurrence. I just feel sad about weaning, but otherwise I'm pretty content in my life. :) Is this typical to mourn the loss of the relationship? Should I consider relactating at this point or find other ways to spend close time with her? Anyone else experience this? TIA!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
It's always hard when something so important ends, but it sounds like you have made your decision, and your daughter sounds like she is also fine with the decision to stop. If it were me I would move on and enjoy other things with her!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My daughter is 3.5 and still nursing, so if I were you I would try to get your nursing relationship back on track, if you feel like you're wanting to be in it for the long haul. I'm sure you already know all the health benefits of continuing to nurse, and there are so many other bonding, tantrum preventing, etc. benefits as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nursing is not the only way to be close to your child.

You miss nursing, your child does not. Is it really fair to your daughter to force her to do something she no longer wants to do in order to meet your needs?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmo View Post
I thought I was ready to let go of our nursing relationship shortly after DD turned 2. With a few rare exceptions, she hasn't really nursed since Christmas (28 months), and seems to have forgotten how to be "gentle". I just feel so sad that this special time is over and I still occassionally will offer it if she's very upset or sick. She'll suck twice and say, "no milk in it" and go back to playing. She's fine without it, but I'm still sad and keep waiting for it to feel normal. FWIW, I did have PPD, but this isn't a recurrence. I just feel sad about weaning, but otherwise I'm pretty content in my life. :) Is this typical to mourn the loss of the relationship? Should I consider relactating at this point or find other ways to spend close time with her? Anyone else experience this? TIA!
oh mama, it seems like she's done

if she weaned easily and is fine without nursing, i would let it go.

could you maybe make an album of nursing photos and other stuff that reminds you of that nursing time (maybe pics from right after she was born), so that you can look back on it in a tangible way? and your DD might enjoy looking at that, too, and talking with you about your special time together when she was a "baby!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.