Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum is way better, but I so miss having one thread where I could wax poetic about the yeasties colonizing my sourdough starter (first time!) AND exclaim delightedly about how yummy Kerrygold butter is, AND bitch about how my Organic Pastures raw milk is always sour when I buy it from the local HFS, AND talk about the delightful Really Raw honey DH came home with the other day... all in the same post.

That's all.
:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Sounds like you already covered everything.
I wasn't posting when the monthly NT threads were going, but I was reading ... and it was really difficult for me to follow everything sometimes. I'd skip MDC for a few days and when I'd come back, there would be 130 new posts! However, I also learned a lot from those threads, and have several of them bookmarked. So I can see both sides.

I was thinking about ordering some Organic Pastures milk from Azure next month, just to compare the flavor with the raw milk we buy locally -- none of us like it, it has a funky flavor, and I think it might be because it only comes from one cow, and maybe I just don't like the taste of her milk. Now, seeing your post, I'm not so sure that will be a good idea. Oh well, I can always turn it into kefir if it's started to sour.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I just really liked the "chat" aspects of it.

I don't know what's up with the OP milk. Even when I buy it the day it's delivered to my HFS, it is frequently sour or sours within a day or two. I KNOW I can make yogurt or kefir with it, but I don't want to - I want to drink it
:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I miss them too. I tried to start one going again when we got our own forum, but it didnt seem to catch on. It seems to me that I got to know people better when there was a monthly thread where now it seems more like just answering questions and thats it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
:

Although the forum is really nice for questions, I miss the thread for chatting too. Like how I'll be making my first sauerkraut tomorrow and how I got kefir grains from my mom of all people and brought them home on the plane in my carry-on last month.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomInFlux
I don't know what's up with the OP milk. Even when I buy it the day it's delivered to my HFS, it is frequently sour or sours within a day or two. I KNOW I can make yogurt or kefir with it, but I don't want to - I want to drink it
:
Call Organic Pastures and ask them about it. That is not my experience with their milk at all. It is possible that the HFS isn't handling it properly and perhaps Organic Pastures can make some suggestions to them.

I've purchased it a week after delivery and it's been fine. I've gotten it direct from the dairy and it was fine after ten days in the fridge.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Oh, here I am just answering a question. Here's something chatty:

When I am out for the day, I've been drinking raw milk only and avoiding restaurants. I save time, money, and headaches from some sort of unexpected food additive.

And my big hunt lately is that I am looking for cows grazing in the Sequoia National Forest. I've seen them in the past and think I could get some incredible pictures. Actually, they are probably steers, not cows.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See? I feel better already
:

Amanda - I think I will call OP. Although I may just give up and start getting it delivered frozen (assuming I don't pass out first from the approx. $16/gallon shipped price). Cows in the forest sounds really funny! Do you think they're lost cows gone wild, or does someone have a permit to graze their cattle in the forest?

Brookesmom - how did the kraut making go? I'm still working up to making sauerkraut - I need an appropriate crock.

Two more things...

1) What do you do with ketchup? I made a quart of fermented ketchup and now have no clue what to do with it. DH occasionally buys Fearless Franks for the kids, but they don't like my ketchup
:

2) What am I doing wrong with my wild sourdough starter? About 18 hours of mixing ww flour and water, I have yeasties, as evidenced by bubbling action. Then I add a couple of tablespoons more flour and stir and then...nothing. No more bubbles. This has happened twice now, so what's up?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Quote:

1) What do you do with ketchup? I made a quart of fermented ketchup and now have no clue what to do with it. DH occasionally buys Fearless Franks for the kids, but they don't like my ketchup
:
You could use it in a meatloaf or to make bbq beef brisket or something. That's the only way we eat it around here (but I buy the low-carb ketchup with splenda in it

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Brenda,

If you have friends who drink raw milk, a better bet is to set up a weekly home delivery. They charge a $5 fee and then $10/gallon for whole milk and I think $8/pint for cream. Call them and ask about minimum orders. Alternatively, if you have some freezer space but have a hard time meeting minimums, or you could order every two weeks to meet minimums and freeze some of it.

The cows grazing in the forest are not wild. They are moved up there in the summer by area ranchers so that they can graze. There aren't that many which is why I have to hunt. I need to call the forestry service and just ask.

Amanda

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gale Force
If you have friends who drink raw milk, a better bet is to set up a weekly home delivery. They charge a $5 fee and then $10/gallon for whole milk and I think $8/pint for cream. Call them and ask about minimum orders. Alternatively, if you have some freezer space but have a hard time meeting minimums, or you could order every two weeks to meet minimums and freeze some of it.
Oooohhhhh. I'll definitely call them about this. I have a huge freezer in the garage where I could store milk to meet a minimum. Thanks!

And Kallyn - great idea on using ketchup in meatloaf. Yum - meatloaf made with grass-fed beef and homemade fermented ketchup

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Oooohhhhh. I'll definitely call them about this. I have a huge freezer in the garage where I could store milk to meet a minimum. Thanks!

And Kallyn - great idea on using ketchup in meatloaf. Yum - meatloaf made with grass-fed beef and homemade fermented ketchup

Ooo! I think this makes my dinner plans!

Ann

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gale Force
Brenda,

If you have friends who drink raw milk, a better bet is to set up a weekly home delivery. They charge a $5 fee and then $10/gallon for whole milk and I think $8/pint for cream. Call them and ask about minimum orders. Amanda
At my HFS Organic Pastures raw milk is $7 1/2 gallon and $12/ pint for cream...and I have to drive 20 minutes to get it! I think I will call to.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I'm glad to see an update thread again!
I tried to start something similar (a NT task/meal planning thread) and a bunch of people seemed interested but nobody really posted to it. I'm making my first batch of sauerkraut right now and I'm a little nervous that it smells weird. I buy this great raw sauerkraut from my fav HFS and I added some of the juices of it to my homemade stuff. It smells really weird though. I tried to make wild sourdough starter once and after one day it had a very odd smell and my sauerkraut is smelling kinda like that. Maybe we have some sort of weird yeasties in our kitchen???

I also just stocked up on organic grassfed meats again on Tuesday, as well as picked up our CSA so it feels like we actually have things to eat again. Between eating NT as well as dd's food allergies (dairy, soy, gluten, nuts and some other weirder ones like cauliflower) everyday eating is a challenge. I'm thinking of cooking a bunch of meals and snacks and freezing them in individual portions to make my life easier.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have been really bad with my NT eating and have gotten back into convenience foods (a lot of pastas etc) I run a daycare in my home and this week and next I have 6 kids in my house which is a little overwhelming for me, but am helping a friend out. so I plan on getting back on track. I let a friend borrow my NT book and I really need it back

I have a question about sourdough starters. is it true that you shouldnt keep them near your brewing kefir because the yeast can transfer? I thought I remembered reading that but wasnt sure.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I hope that isn't true, because my starter lives on the counter next to my kefir. I make really good sourdough (yea, finally got the hang of it!). My kefir seems fine, too. I just figured the yeasties from each would help the other!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
They *could* affect one another. If something flops, that might be why. I keep my water and milk kefir brews across the room from each other.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nice to have the monthly chat back

The intense summer heat is having an effect on what I make. No bone broths, no sauerkraut, no bread, no nuts, no granola to name a few. The idea of putting the oven or even the dehydrator on in the heat is not appealing. So bread is store bought for now. As is sauerkraut. No replacement for broths tho or granola or nuts. I have found an interesting bread tho. Made by French Meadow, the package states clearly, 'no phytic acid.' We've been buying their sourdough rye for a couple of years now but this new one, spelt , is a bit closer to 'regular' bread than their thinner tangy sourdough.

So Gale Force what d'you think about the 'no phytic acid' statement? Is that even possible in a bread? They use no yeast, oils etc and take 24 hrs for each loaf. If there is no phytic acid contained in the bread then is there anything else that would detract nutritionally? Meaning, can this be eaten regularly without putting a strain on the system? More info here

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnelian
So Gale Force what d'you think about the 'no phytic acid' statement? Is that even possible in a bread? They use no yeast, oils etc and take 24 hrs for each loaf.
It's definitely possible. In wheat it's easy to break down and 24 hours should be more than sufficient. I haven't seen data on spelt, but it is probably similar to wheat.

Quote:
If there is no phytic acid contained in the bread then is there anything else that would detract nutritionally? Meaning, can this be eaten regularly without putting a strain on the system? More info here
I don't eat grains because they make me sluggish regardless of how I prepare them. From the way I react, it's hard for me to believe that they are healthy, but a lot of people eat them and feel fine, so who knows.

The packaging of those breads is beautiful.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts