Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a ton of brussel sprouts out in my garden, and I need to bring them in this weekend. I'd like to make some kind of dish with them to bring to the family thanksgiving dinner, but don't know what to make. I'd sure love any suggestions!

I ended up growning them by mistake, when I went to the nursery for garden plants, they were mislabelled, and I thought I was growing cauliflower, until I saw the first sprouts! Dh says he doesn't like them, and I've never had them and don't know what to do with them! (I picked some earlier, but gave them to a friend who loves them)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
mmmm... I like them leftover , halved and fried in butter... not exactly good for you! They are also fantastic with cheese sauce. I cant eat dairy anymore so I will sulk off pouting!! enjoy your brussel sprouts. Anything is better when you grow them yourselves!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm jealous! I LOVE brussell sprouts! I like to fry bacon and onion, add the cleaned brussell sprouts that have been cut in half and par boiled and let them finish cooking in the bacon and onion. Yummy! Oven roasted like the pp said is also very good.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I got a recipe from Cooking Light that sautees proccuitto (sorry about the spelling!)and shallots in olive oil and butter. THen add parboiled and cut in half brussle sprouts, salt and pepper. Drizzle with lemon juice before serving. THey are DELISH!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
My favorite way of eating them is by steaming them until tender then sauteeing them in brown butter until they start to brown a little on the edges. Sprinkle with salt and freshly grated nutmeg. I could eat a million this way.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I do a cross between a few of these....just did this the other day and they were yum.

Sauteed some nitrate/nitrite free maple bacon and some onions in a pan. In the meantime, I boiled the brussles sprouts for 6-7 mins or so. Rinsed them under cool water and then halved them. I added them to the softened onions and bacon, threw in some chestnuts (already roasted from a jar because I'm lazy). Let that heat up sufficiently, and then topped with a combo of maple syrup and butter stirred together. MMMMM.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by calicokatt
THERE IS NO SUCH THING!
Honestly I hate them, but my parents didn't know you weren't supposed to harvest until after the frost. So they were really....really....REALLY nasty!
Oh...this is good news! I didn't know that either, and was going to harvest them this weekend, and we had the first frost last night!
I am going to try something based on the ideas here...I'll steam or boil them a bit, then brush them with olive oil and sautee them with some shallots. I'll review this thread before I do anything, though, and will post my experiences!
Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.