Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cding our little guy for 2 years, I'm just loosin' it here. I have done it all....strip, boil, bleach, dawn, oxyclean, you name it.... Our water is so horrible, that I just can not get the funk out of our microfiber inserts, so my next step is to try Bac Out.

I've read that I should put a few tablespoons in with a cold rinse, so I will try that when I get my shipment from drugstore.com.

Anyone else had success with Bac Out?

· Registered
1,351 Posts
I put almost a cup in a hot wash and let it soak overnight. It really kills all the funky smell. I
Bac Out.

disclaimer: I know my routine is probably overkill but I only do it every 6 months or so and I don't have time to mess around.

· Registered
662 Posts
I put a few squirts in the first cold rinse or wash. Then after it agitates a bit I open the lid and let it soak for atleast half an hour, even more is better. Then I wash on hot with my regular detergent. I'm sure the overnight soak would be great.

· Registered
999 Posts
Hi,

I use 1/4 cup of bac-out in my front loader. I soak my dd's dipes overnight in cold water. It really does eliminate the stink!

Just make sure that you follow the soak w/a very hot wash to wash out the enzymes. My dd used to get rashes all the time but hasn't had one since I cut out regular deterg!

Hope it works as well for you!

· Registered
101 Posts
I spray it on poopy diapers going into the pail then add a spray or two to my cold pre-rinse, I've always used microfiber and never had a stink issue. I love bac-out! (Once I had a poop stain on the carpet...what I get for taking a shower when ds figured out velcro...I sprayed w/ bac-out and scrubbed, but it wouldn't get out. Got distracted and came back two days later it the stain was GONE...guess the enzymes ate it all up? I had this happen twice)

· Registered
71 Posts
I ordered some, heard it works miracles. However, I have heard that you should be sure to use a hot water wash after and rinse well b/c bac out can cause serious skin rash if it isn't rinsed out properly.
I also purchased a spray nozzle bottle so I could spray it on the poop stains directly like another member mentioned. Also, you can put a small amt at the bottom of your diaper pail for odor control. I'll let you know how I like it!

I have also heard that certain detergents can cause diapers to have build up and it makes them really stinky. I heard Allens detergents is one of the best.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
372 Posts
I have always used Bac Out- I keep a spray bottle with 1/2 h2o and 1/2 bac out next to the diaper pail- I have always sprayed the soiled diapers with it before putting into the pail. I also use it on wet diapers- just a few sprays.

I only soak overnight once in a blue moon.
This is my routine:

rinse on cold with vinegar
do a hot / cold wash with 1/2 tbsp of Bi-o-kleen powder deterg
one more rinse on cold.

Diapers are normally washed every other day. If they go longer than that, I will add a squirt to the cold rinse cycle in the beginning.

I have read that Bac Out does not work well in hot water- b/c it is an enzyme, the hot water kills it and makes it pretty much useless. But, it works fine in cold water- that is why I spary it onto diapers right after taking them off baby- they go right into the cold rinse cycle.

HTH!

· Registered
5,730 Posts
Just to add yet another plug to be sure to use Bac-Out in cold water and follow with a hot water wash. Otherwise the enzymes won't work as well, and some can be left behind to cause irritation on sensitive skin.

Good luck, Mama. I'm so sorry you're been having a tough time.

· Banned
4,724 Posts
It always worked pretty well for me, even when I had hard water. I agree, soak your diapers in a cup of it and some cold water for a day or so, then wash them.

Also, Maggie's Soap Nuts are really good with stripping residue. They also soften your water.

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yay, it seemed to help tremendously! I think if I hit them one more time, all the stink will be gone. Thanks ladies for the encouragement!

· Registered
2,710 Posts
It works nicely that way on towels, washcloths and rags, too. Cold water soak, then hot wash. I use detergent in the follow up wash, too, but not much.

BTW, when I used it to soak in the diaper pail, I got really sour smelling diaps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.