Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went on vacation for a few days and came home to an unholy mess of skidmarks all over the house.

Turns out, I'm not that smart and gave the poor kitties a totally different food (the place we get their normal food was closed). Now I haven't had problems doing this before, but I've also never done this and then let them free feed themselves for 4 days (piggies!).

Our big man cat, Duncan, has a sensitive stomach and long fur. And the poor dear has some nasty poopy mats. I left him for a day, as he'll often take out his own mats (which is just better for all of us). But these are a no go. So it's bath time tonight.

He's tolerated bathing before, but it's been about 2 years since his last poopy butt incident and I don't know how well this is going to go down.

Send me your good vibes. Here's hoping the poop goes away and I get to keep my skin intact.

~Julia

· Registered
9,767 Posts
Oh, my Lord. I wish you ALL THE BEST!

Our long-haired grrlcat, Lychee, is not that tidy and we recently had to trim her bloomers. She's already got more dingleberries--I don't know what we're going to do with her. Lemme know how the bath goes...maybe photos?

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Unholey mess of skidmarks.. dingle berries.
:

I'm so immature.

As for the bathing, will your vet dispense some ace for you? When we had ringworm and were bathing twice a week I had to resort to it (but not before I ended up with a 2 inch long scar on my left forearm), otherwise it was just a big stressful fight. It made bathing SO much easier.

· Registered
8,855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frog View Post
North, what's ace?
acepromazine, right? A tranquelizer

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Unholey mess of skidmarks.. dingle berries.
:

I'm so immature.

As for the bathing, will your vet dispense some ace for you? When we had ringworm and were bathing twice a week I had to resort to it (but not before I ended up with a 2 inch long scar on my left forearm), otherwise it was just a big stressful fight. It made bathing SO much easier.
Yes, giant streaky skid marks. Though he's a sweetie and kept them on the tile and hardwoods. And he found some rags and tried to use them to cover up the skidmarks. Because he's conscientious like that.

I don't think I could get any ace for him for this bath. he hasn't been to the vet in a couple years
: and I can't afford to bring him in for a check up to get any. And I don't know if they'd see him since he isn't vaxed anymore (indoors 100%). How well does it work? Cause I'd love to trim him down once a year but he will not tolerate that at all!

That's a good idea on the photos frog! Poor Fatty usually looks so sad in the tub. I'll bet my partner will take some for me.

~Julia

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
acepromazine, right? A tranquelizer
Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
How well does it work? Cause I'd love to trim him down once a year but he will not tolerate that at all!
Well!! One of the kitties I was bathing was my formerly (by only a couple of months) outdoor turned indoor feral. And when I clipped Zuki it was a wonderful. And while Zuki was not feral, she was not grooming-socialized either. I NEVER bath my cats, so when I was at the vet for the skin scrapings I asked for some ace and they stocked me up.

I also use it for Kali during the bad storms.

If you can find a vet who would be willing to do a physical without vaxing, it might be worth it, but you can't get it online without a script, and I doubt a vet would dispense it without seeing the cat. Which is too bad, because after using it I will never go it alone again, it's too stressful on them.

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Well!! One of the kitties I was bathing was my formerly (by only a couple of months) outdoor turned indoor feral. And when I clipped Zuki it was a wonderful. And while Zuki was not feral, she was not grooming-socialized either. I NEVER bath my cats, so when I was at the vet for the skin scrapings I asked for some ace and they stocked me up.
iiiiiiiiiinteresting. I'm impressed if it let you bath a feral cat! I may have to look into this for future Fatty shaving sessions.

~Julia

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
When mine get poop in their fur, I just cut it out, unless it was very runny. It's a lot easier than giving them a bath!
This was runny and is now a big confusing mass of stinkiness. I would normally try to cut out mats, but this is just so gross and near "sensitive bits" that I just don't even want to try.

Just gonna fill up the tub with warm water, put on some gloves and start scrubbin' the neither regions! I won't be able look Fatty in the eye for weeks
:

~Julia

· Registered
1,676 Posts
Oh dear, that sounds horrifying! Best of luck to you and Fatty!

I have had to bathe my devil cat a few times in the past and he actually did pretty good. I made sure I diluted the heck out of the shampoo so that the whole process wasn't too prolonged with rinsing and then I just sang to him and kept moving him around with one hand while the other one scrubbed. I learned that trick when I groomed for a summer in college. It seems that if the cat is continually gently pushed into a different spot they don't have time to launch an attack

Good luck.....

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We made it! My skin is intact. Duncan's pride, not so much.

He was a perfect gentleman, better than either of the dogs when they get baths. He stinks much less now, though there are some small mats that I'll need to try and cut out this evening. By the time we were drying off, he'd had enough of me harassing his neither regions, so I just let him go.

My partner took some funny photos, including one of our girl cat Boo "helping" by perching on my shoulders as I tried to scrub Fatty's butt.
Thanks sweetie.

Thanks for the vibes, I'm going to hold onto them for tonights "trimming" session!

~Julia

· Registered
9,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
My partner took some funny photos, including one of our girl cat Boo "helping" by perching on my shoulders as I tried to scrub Fatty's butt.
Thanks sweetie.
And, yet, I see no photos!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.