Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies!!
My 2 1/2 yr old and 16 mth old are in CD's full time and they both get horrible, horrible rashes on their behinds and when they get the rashes, I put them in disposies and the rash goes away. I am soo confused I am not sure what could be causing the rashes, do any of you have any advice or know why they would be getting rashes? I change them every 2 hrs and I wash in 1 warm wash, and then 1 hot wash with extra rinses. Do you think the detergent could be bothering them? Or is it something else? I have been CD'ing for about 2 yrs now do you think I may need new CPF's? The rash is bumpy and red. TIA

·
Registered
994 Posts
What detergent do you use?
Have you tried a fleece liner next to their skin to keep the moisture from being directly on them?
Are the rashes a new thing?

I use Burt's Bees diaper ointment as a preventative measure. It's cloth-friendly
It's not the best for clearing a rash up but it works wonderfully for keeping rashes at bay.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The first thing I would do is check for detergent buildup. Wash your dipes a few times with no detergent and see if there are a lot of bubbles. If that is not the problem, then switch detergents. You can also add 5-10 drops of teatree oil to your wash to help kill any bacteria that could be causing the rash, then hang your dipes out in the sun.

I hope your boys rashes are better soon.

angie

·
Registered
485 Posts
My daughter did not do well with prefolds next to her skin, the cotton weave just got to be too rough as the prefolds got older, so I modified them by sewing in a panel of microfleece down the middle section. You can just cut a piece out and lay it over top, as well.

Also, be sure your rinses are warm, and not cold, as cold water will not dissolve the remaining detergent. I only use Tide Free or All Free detergents. They are the only ones I have ever found that do not build up so much residue over time.

I think you really will need some microfleece, though, since it sounds as though the wet cotton weave right next to the skin is probably the issue.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sounds like you're using WAAAAAYYY too much detergent!

If you overload your machine, and add detergent at full amount, that will not wash out even if you do 2 rinses.

Here's my washing plan:

24 dipes total(includes covers, but not wipes)in one washing

One COLD wash with 1/2 amount of detergent, water at level HIGH

One HOT wash with no detergent (you will have to turn up your water heater to get them really clean, it's not that hard to do, get a flashlight, and read the instructions on the water heater itself)

If you take them out and they are still stinky this time, or feel a bit sticky, put them back in for another wash or two with NO Detergent at all. You'll only have to do these repeat washes once to get them clean from detergent buildup.

DO that One cold, one HOT wash from now on. Forget all those rinses, soaking etc. You'll have to wash everyother day for a while, with 2 in dipes, or your washer will get overloaded again. Those 2 washes are easier to remember what you've done, and quicker for you to get on with your day than rinses. And when they are agitated, it helps them get the det out too.

Have you switched detergents lately? You could try switching back, or try baking soda, and Dr Bronners for a few washes. Dr BR is very concentrated, but gentle, so make sure you read the directions first.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks soo much ladies for all your advice, I am definently going to try everything

Sarah-I have a front loader washing machine, I cannot put the water level on high, is it still going to get my dipes clean if I turn the hot water heater up even if I cannot put more water in it? I have tried numerous detergents and they still get rashes from the free and clear ones, reg ones all the ones I have tried they still get rashes. How about something really gentle like Dreft or Ivory, would those work? Where can I get the Dr.Bronners? Can I put baking soda in a front loader? I am definently going to do that wash regimen. Should I still put tea tree oil in the wash? Thanks soo much for all your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.