Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been to this board before, but I know Kira from another board, so I figured this would be the place to come for help. First off, I did circ my son. I'll wait until you stop throwing rotten veggies at me..............LOL

Okay--I would NEVER have another boy circ'ed--NO WAY. After his circ, the skin grew back around the head of the penis and the ped pulled it back twice which made me sick to my stomach and he cried so hard it still breaks my heart. Now he is 3 and has been complaining that his penis hurts. I've noticed that it is mainly when he has an erection, but I've also noticed that the skin on the penis has grown back over the coronal ridge of the penis. There is no ridge there now because the skin grew up over it. Is this making any sense? When looking at his penis when erect, it looks completely smooth all the way to the tip--there is no ridge at all around the head. It's not like the bridges I've seen--it's completely attached all the way around. Is that how it was before he was circ'ed? I'm praying it will fix itself because there is no way I want it to be pulled back and also no way I am having him circ'ed again. PLEASE tell me this will fix itself. Poor little man.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The glans as times goes on will proably more protude farther out of the skin if not maybe he could still have a loose foreskin & since it's not normal attachment since the circumcision destroyed the synchia membrane & frenulm plus besides the pulling it back which the ped should have left it alone even though your son was circumcised is proably causing 'stretching pain' from the soreness of adhesions when he has erections that's just my guess if he does need surgery down the road don't go the recircing it may be possibly a reconstructive surgery.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really hoping it was a loose circ. When the penis is not erect, the skin covers part of the head. Is it possible that it will loosen itself in time? I'm afraid to take him to the ped because I don't want her to try to pull it back again. UGH!

·
Registered
625 Posts
From what I understand, this type of adhesion(s) may naturally separate on it's own later much like the foreskin does even though it does not have the natural protective membrane. However, as others have said, do NOT allow a re-circ as I'm sure it wouldn't be very hard to find a dr. that will recommend one. This will just cost him more skin from the shaft area, make his erections even tighter, and will likely do nothing to help any damage done by the adhesions anyhow. Good luck to you and your son.
:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes! I don't want it to be perfect looking, just more comfortable for him and fully functioning (as much as one can be that is circ'ed). I never talk about this with anyone except online people because my DH is adament that boys be circed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
http://tinyurl.com/8dua9

Quote:
J Urol. 2000 Aug;164(2):495-6.

Ponsky LE, Ross JH, Knipper N, Kay R.

Department of Urology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

PURPOSE: The appropriate management of penile adhesions in circumcised boys is unclear. An important consideration is whether adhesions resolve spontaneously. We studied the incidence of penile adhesions as a function of patient age to assess the natural history. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We evaluated all circumcised boys presenting to our pediatric urology clinic. A standard form was used to classify adhesions as grade 0-no adhesions, 1-fine adhesions to the corona, 2-adhesions covering less than 50% of the glans and 3-adhesions covering greater than 50% of the glans. All boys were evaluated by 1 of 2 pediatric urologists. Previous treatment of adhesions was assessed and skin bridges were also noted. RESULTS: We enrolled in our study 254 boys 1 month to 19 years 8 months old. Only 7 patients had a history of treatment of adhesion, of whom 3 had recurrent adhesions at evaluation. Patients were divided into groups based on age, including younger than 12 months (61), 13 to 60 (78), 61 to 108 (51) and 109 months old or older (64). In these groups we noted an adhesion rate of 71%, 28%, 8% and 2%, respectively. The rate of adhesions more severe than grade 1 was 30%, 10% and 0% in boys 12 months old or younger, 13 to 60 and 61 months old or older, respectively. The oldest patient with grade 3 adhesions was 31 months old. Skin bridges in 6 cases involved the circumcision line in 4. CONCLUSIONS: Penile adhesions develop after circumcision and the incidence decreases with patient age. Although there is debate on whether to lyse these adhesions manually, our findings suggest that adhesions resolve without treatment. Based on our results we do not recommend lysing penile adhesions, except perhaps those involving the circumcision line.

Lysing means to separate.

Another article:

http://www.cirp.org/news/ponsky2/

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
's I just wanted to give some encouragement to you. Best wishes, and it sounds as though it should resolve on its own
Stay far away from that ped though
at least make absolute sure she knows NOT to mess with your ds's penis again! Poor little guy
He's so lucky that you know to research and not to just get a re-circ!

love and peace.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you again for all the information!!! I talked at length with Kira and another intactivst and they believe that his skin will come apart by itself, so we are not touching it. I'm also encouraging him to pull the skin further down the penis away from his body to help stretch it out. I can't undo what has been done, but if I can encourage him to stretch it out so it is closer to what should have been, that's what I'll do. I talked to my DH about circing and how it isn't needed, how much skin is removed, the lost sensation, etc......and he had no clue. He was shocked! When I told him that I will never ever have another boy circ'd, he didn't try to fight me on it. That is a huge step for him! It makes me cry when I think of what Brendan went through because I am supposed to be is protector. I wish I would have been informed and chosen not to circ him. I wish someone would have spoken to me about it beforehand. The doctor never said anything about it to me. It's hard to let go of the past sometimes. I'm not quite sure how to do that.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
There is a mama here with the exact same problem: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=499923

In post #16 there are lots more links about adhesions, if you want them. But it sounds like you have it all down, now.

mama I know it is rough to learn what circumcision really is and does. You are very brave and I am SO happy that you and DH won't be doing it to future sons! You are awesome.

There is a sticky thread for Mamas who regret circumcising their sons. You may want to post your story there. And please stick around, you can help others! You have btdt, and your experiennce can be very valuable to people who don't know about circumcision yet.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
I wish I would have been informed and chosen not to circ him. I wish someone would have spoken to me about it beforehand. The doctor never said anything about it to me. It's hard to let go of the past sometimes. I'm not quite sure how to do that.
Not everyone thinks to question circ. as you know. Sadly, it is very entrenched in our culture. It is only in the last 25 years that a massive educational effort has taken off to try to reach parents like you. The movement has been very successful. The US circ rate used to be at nearly 95% nationally (25 yrs. ago), now it is only 53% nationally. That's a big change! People are learning...very slowly, but surely, that circ is not medically necessary and harmful to baby. Doctors who profit off of circ aren't all that inclined to share the truth with us. They will only go as far to say that Circ is non-therepeutic. That's where most of them clam up. There are a few ethical ones who wont perform them anymore, but by and large, most of them are not there yet.

Please watch the educational video called "The Prepuce" here:

www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org

A way to move forward for you: join our Intactivist movement. Help educate other parents who blindly choose circ. without knowing what it is or why it's harmful. You said that you wish someone would have told you...be that someone!
You can also protect future grandchildren too.....when you babies start having babies, educate them before they go down the path that you did.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to inform other moms here because circing is way too common in Ohio! I will check out the links soon--it's hard with one BFing and a toddler into everything! LOL

I wanted to ask though---everytime I see something about circing (I watched the graphic video--OMGOSH!
: ), I feel like I'm going to pass out. Does that ever get any better? If you've ever watched Charlotte's Web, I feel exactly like Wilbur when he hears them talking about bacon!

And thanks for not throwing rotten veggies at me!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
I wanted to ask though---everytime I see something about circing (I watched the graphic video--OMGOSH! ), I feel like I'm going to pass out. Does that ever get any better? If you've ever watched Charlotte's Web, I feel exactly like Wilbur when he hears them talking about bacon!

And thanks for not throwing rotten veggies at me!
First, i apologize for being so angry at you when you first posted. All my fello-Intactivists tell me that wont help, but I just see blazing red when I hear about cases like yours.

I promise to be more tactful. The Wibur analogy, made me laugh and feel so bad for you. Your question was great. Does it ever get any easier? Well. As you can see, i still get quite emotionally charged when i read about stories like yours (I've been at this since 2001). I try to remain calm in the face of insanity...but sometimes it is so damn hard for me. Most of the girls in here are better at it than me. Intactivists usually take time off to regenerate. it's mandatory! But the ones who are committed to helping other parents learn... are never gone for too long.

Don't watch that video again once you have seen it. That is the worst video and will punch you in the gut everytime.

Unfortunately this is a very disturbing topic, you must expect that it wont be easy. taking time off periodically helps, and surrounding yourself with others who feel the same way as you do (we here at MDC) also helps.

It's difficult work, but if we don't do it....how will people learn? Welcome to the movement.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
I'm also encouraging him to pull the skin further down the penis away from his body to help stretch it out. I can't undo what has been done, but if I can encourage him to stretch it out so it is closer to what should have been
I know that you have the best of intentions by telling him to do this, however i would be concerned that any premature stretching might cause tears. I know that you are deeply inclined to want him back in his normal intact state, but I would hold off on telling him to stretch until others here have weighed in. Let me see if I can look into that and find some advice.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You mentioned that he was in some pain when erect. The tightness of his skin should be relieved with the stretching exercises that others recommended, but tell him to be gentle so as not to tear anything.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Yeah, I would say the same. If it's still attached, that means he would not be retractable at this age (most boys aren't) if he were intact. But (fingerscrossed) it should release when it's ready, just by virtue of time, hormones, and him playing with it the way any boy will do! He will help break the adhesions with normal toddler handling of it, but I'd worry he might go overboard and cause tears if you encourage him to pull it.

After it detaches, and he's older (teens?), you can tell him about stretching and restoration.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmmmm..........another intactivist told me to encourage him to pull it away from his body--not hard, and I'm not setting aside a specific time for penis pulling. LOL She said gently pulling it down the length of his penis, not up to expose the glans, should help stretch the skin out over time. Does that make sense? I won't ever tell him to pull it back since I don't want any doctor doing that either. Will pulling it down the length still cause tearing?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.