Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i decided to be selfish this last week and went on a trip for 3 days and didnt breastfeed adn now my supply is gone. I need to know waht i can do to get it back up.

I've tried:
Oatmeal- eating granola bars
a beer- only one
having her nurse constantly
Breast stimulation
hot showers

And this morning and later today she had two diapers not wet and a little pinkish streak in her diapers. I am worried i cant get my milk back. Please help me and let me know what i can do. I have absolutley no money to get anything, my husbadns job has went on strike nd we haev no money. Please let me know waht i can do that doesnt cost any money.

Please any help will be greatful. And highly accepted and appreciated.!!!!

Bryndi

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm not sure. My youngest is only a few days younger than yours, but he weaned a few months ago. If she was fine not nursing for a few days, and your supply is gone, I'd just call it a day, personally.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Since it has only been a few days and your breasts were full at the end of them, I think that you probably still have milk, it has just slowed production.

With that said, you need to get production back up. Nurse as often as possible and when you aren't nursing, pump. Pump even if nothing is coming out. Your breasts need to get the message that they have increased demand and need to increase supply. Be patient as it will take at least two days before your production will begin to catch up. Whatever you do, don't feed the baby via a bottle and not nurse/pump along with it. Any time your baby would have been hungry, your breasts need to know it by either nursing or pumping. Let us know how it goes.

I went away for 5 hours when my first was 1 month old and learned that lesson -- my boobs were so painfully hard by the end of the show, I was in the bathroom trying to hand express for some relief. I have always remembered to bring my pump when I know I'll be away for a while after that!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
What did your dd eat while you were gone?

While you work on upping your supply you need to be sure your dd is getting fed, even if that means formula.

I would keep doing the things you've been trying. It took 3 days to damage your supply and will take a good while to bring it back (if it's possible)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My DD had formula while i was gone, It was a last minute vacation that i went with a friend and the whole three days i just hand expressed as much i could but was in so muhc pain and hard as a rock at the end it felt to good to have her nurse when i got home.

I dont have a pump, she was alwasy with me when i was home so we never had to pump, and i dont have the money to go buy one. So i guess ill jsut nurse her as often as i can. I actually think it might be coming back and i am excitedshe actually nursed and isnt crying after delatching as if she watns more.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Have you checked kellymom.com? Always a good place to go for breastfeeding questions! You can try taking fenugreek. You can get it at any health food or herb store. Kellymom has dosage recommendations. Mainly just keep doing what you are doing - nurse ALL the time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The streaks are crystals in her urine and a sign of dehydration. So, you will have to suppliment until you get your milk back.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROUD_2_B_A_MOM View Post
oh no i just updated my signature, my DD is only 2 months old. sorry i guess i should have included that
Oh! That definitely changes things!

Quote:

thank you mamas so much i really appreciate it
You have to watch her wet diapers really carefully. Dehydration in a newborn can come on scary fast. If you have even the slightest of doubts, bring her in to get checked out.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
If your breasts were rock hard when you got back, you certainly have milk. Get yourself a hand pump. After each nursing, pump more. Def supplement while you are doing this as your baby needs hydration while you are working on your supply, but since your babe is young, I'm sure it will bounce back. Get good nutrition and hydration and continue with oatmeal and mother's milk teas.

Next time, at least bring a hand pump on vacation, even if you have to dump the BM - I was so attached to my DS, I still haven't vacationed away from him in 2 yrs! LOL

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't know if anyone has suggested yet: hang out in bed with your baby as much as possible, and nurse absolutely as much as she will take. Get plenty of skin-to-skin. If at all possible, stay in bed all day for a day or two.

It may seem extreme, but when you think about how much $$ you'd have to spend on formula in the next 10 months, it's worth it.

Can you call your local LLL about a pump? Maybe they can direct you to a free or low-cost rental. I don't know if you're eligible for WIC, but in many places they provide free pumps. A pump would be great--not only for restoring your supply, but for building up a stash of milk for the next time you want to get away.

ETA: If she's had formula, she shouldn't be dehydrated... how many days has it been since you got back? If she is lethargic, or if she seems hungry, nurse first and then supplement with formula as needed. Dehydration is tricky, because it can make babies sleepy, but then again most newborns sleep alot to begin with.

Good luck-- it's hard work now, but it's worth it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have wic i was thinking of calling them and seeing waht they can do for me. I got back on friday and she has only had 3 bottles since i got back so she has been getitn som milk from me since she has done so well without to many bottles, but it still bugs me that i even thught of doing this to her. I feel like such a horrible mom for even putting her on formula. I will be calling WIC tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Good advice here but I would definitely NOT take another vacation even for more than 4 hours from baby. Poor thing is so little and really needs your milk and you need her to keep nursing to keep up your supply. Keep baby in bed and nurse constantly for a few days. Keep hydrated, eat a lot, fenugreek, mother's milk tea, etc.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Keep her close and nurse as often as she is willing. I went on a trip from my first DD for a weekend when she was three months old (two nights one full day) and it took two weeks to get my supply back up to where it should be. I had pumped some while I was gone, but not much because I just had a hand pump that didn't work well (or I just don't pump well
)
It should be fine though. (((HUGS))) and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Quote:

I do have wic i was thinking of calling them and seeing waht they can do for me. I got back on friday and she has only had 3 bottles since i got back so she has been getitn som milk from me since she has done so well without to many bottles, but it still bugs me that i even thught of doing this to her. I feel like such a horrible mom for even putting her on formula. I will be calling WIC tomorrow.
if you ask WIC, you will *more than likely* get formula coupons from them. i havent heard great support from many WIC offices.

i would advise calling your local LLL leaders, and seriously not doing anything other than working on your supply for the next 3-5 days. i honestly think that is how long it will take to get back up to where you were.

caveat: im offering advice based on what i have read. i have never left a nursling overnight so i have never encountered these issues. i can barely go overnight w/o nursing i get so engorged.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.