Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and I have been checking out the website for the last couple of hours. And I really like what I have found. However, I would like some advice on how to deal with a two year old. I don't seem to be real good at dealing w/her frustration. She seems to have a small vocabulary and she gets frustrated when I don't understand what she wants. She just starts screaming and won't stop for nothing. Mama don't do screaming
... I can handle just about everything else.
Thanks to any one who answers.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Welcome mamma!

I am a total infant/toddler signing advocate! Visit www.signingtime.com . These videos Noah loved so much....and they pick up these signs so fast!

www.sign2me.com is another great resource to learn more about signing with your wee one...

She is probably just frusterated that she is having trouble communicating with you...maybe signing could give her the tools to do that until her verbal vocabuary increases...

s

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I second this. My DD knows a few signs (milk, water, down, eat, more, book, airplane, help, hat, brush hair, phone....just writing it out for the first time, wow, Im impressed with her!), were working on more, and it helps SO MUCH with the frustration. We still have to work on the "just because you ask for it doesnt mean you'll get it right now" though! She picks them up so quickly, and we really havent been signing for that long, a few months maybe?
And welcome!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. We've already tried signs. She doesn't seem to like them much but she does know please, thank you, food, and milk. That's about all she has had the patience to stop long enough to learn.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I really do think screaming is just part of toddlerhood, for most children. It will pass, if you can just hang in there. It might help to come up with a mantra or ritual for yourself when she is screaming, such as focusing on your breath, taking deep breaths, counting them. Trying to breath into your belly in a relaxed manner to combat the tension you feel escalating.

I second the recommendation for "Happiest Toddler on the Block." You can get it in dvd form, too. It focuses alot on dealing with tantrums, helping them to see their feelings are acknowledged, etc.

We have pictures of everyday things on the wall at our DD's level behind a sheet of plexiglass. (Drink, apple, banana, trampoline, stroller, bike, book, specific toys, etc). When she is upset it helps to bring her to the pictures and ask her to point to what she wants. Even if we might not have figured out exactly what it was she was upset about, usually she can find something on the board that she does want that works as a substitute.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think you should keep trying with the signs. It can take some kids awhile to catch on especially at that age! It really dos open up the door for communication. i can totally relate to your daughters frusturation as all 3 of my boys developed late with vocabulary which resulted in many tantrums when they could not communicate thier needs or desires to me. try to put her feelinsgs into words when you can tell what it is she wants. Like, if she is throwing a fit about wanting a cookie before dinner get down on her level and calmly say to her that you understand she wants a cookie and is upset. That way she can begin to see the words needed to communicate. Two years odl really is a tough age. It will get easier as she hits about 3, I promise.
BTW, welcome to MDC. Hope you find the support you need!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.