Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help from moms who have two kids and have figured out how to do nighttime solo without going crazy!!!

I have a 3 month old and a 3 year old. My husband works late and doesn't get home until after they're in bed. My 3 month old is changing bedtimes rapidly... just now he's started going down anywhere between 6:30 and 9:00 (no consistency yet, but the bedtime is starting to get earlier towards the 7:00ish range). My 3-year old doesn't go to bed until 8:00ish.

So, my challenge is trying to figure out how to do bathtime and bedtime for both... when the baby starts getting tired/fussy right around when we would usually do dinner/bath/bed for my 3yo.

I've tried bathing all three of us together... that's a bit crazy and not very soothing for anyone involved. And there's still the question of what my 3yo will do while the babe goes to sleep.

I've tried nursing the babe to sleep while reading books to my 3yo, but he just jumps on the bed and is playful with the baby, so the baby doesn't really fall asleep. I've also tried putting the baby down while the 3yo reads in his room, but he wants to come in with us (of course, why wouldn't he?!) and I just end up "shhh'ing" him the whole time, which isn't fair.

I'd really like to be able to put the baby down when he's awake and WALK AWAY... so I don't have to leave the 3yo for more than a few minutes. I'm trying to get to the point where I can do that. But it's taking a while.

Any suggestions on how to get both boys to bed simultaneously???

Thanks!

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now, both bedrooms are upstairs. My 3yo is in his own room (he still sleeps in his crib with the side down so he can get in and out on his own). The baby is sleeping in a co-sleeper in our room. But I'm working towards transitioning them into the same room... once we get the toddler bed for my older son, and once the baby is sleeping through the night.

I was putting the baby down in a playpen for daytime naps, but lately I've been putting him in the co-sleeper upstairs for naps. I thought this would make it easier to put him down... but my 3yo just follows us upstairs!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.