Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
716 Posts
We have been "officially" homeschooling/unschooling for 15 years. Our sons are 20, 16, and 6.

There is nothing you will ever be able to say to convince someone that a child does not have to be in the "government" schools to learn, and it is actually preferable NOT to send a child to school, if that is your choice...

BUT, I can tell you that if they are going to be "convinced" it will be after you have been doing this for a while.

My father always thought it was great, ironically so did my FIL. Funny, how the men thought it was the right thing... After, oh, I would say a good 3-4 years, my mother started mentioning things, like how bad the schools were, how "smart" and well-mannered my children were in comparison to others she came in contact with, etc. She actually became a great supporter. My MIL, however, is one of those people who enjoys dissecting everyone's lives and is manipulative and judgemental. After all these years, you would think somehow it would change, but no. I posted about this last year.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=221185

So I guess the short answer is, give it time, don't explain your choices, just do what is right for your family, and in time, others will see how beneficial it has been.

But some people will never agree with you, so don't worry about.

I hope I have helped in some small way...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.