Mothering Forum banner

I need help! Low supply, nursing strike and too many solids

647 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  carrietorgc 
#1 ·
I don't even know where to start. DS was happily nursing until a few days ago, less than a week. Now, he's on a sort of nursing strike. He'll fuss like he wants to nurse when I ask if he wants milk, but will latch on and not even get a letdown before he starts pulling off, latching on, pulling off, biting, etc. I think my supply is low because I have been giving him too many solids. He's got 8 teeth at 10.5 months, and can eat pretty much anything. He loves solids and begs for them. I am so not ready for him to wean, and want to try to get this on the right track again. How should I go about it? Do I cut down solids drastically, forcing him to nurse more? I started the domperidone tonight after I realized my supply was lower than I thought. Can I take fenugreek also? or should I just do the domperidone? Someone tell me how to get this wonderful bf'ing relationship back. I am in tears.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks Carrie! I started the Dom last night, and can take fenugreek also if it's safe. I put him to bed with me last night and he stay latched on the bigger part of the night, eating a few times, but mostly just a paci. I haven't started the oatmeal, but will do that today. I haven't pumped before latching him on, and this morning he seemed not as impatient to wait for the letdown (which I finally felt on both sides again). I will definitely cut way down on the solids as much as I can. Thanks for your help, it means a lot!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I hope it's okay to take both Fenugreek and the Dom. I am anyway. I think my supply is slowly increasing. He actually spit up tonight for the first time in days. YAY!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.