Mothering Forum banner

I need help! Low supply, nursing strike and too many solids

646 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  carrietorgc 
#1 ·
I don't even know where to start. DS was happily nursing until a few days ago, less than a week. Now, he's on a sort of nursing strike. He'll fuss like he wants to nurse when I ask if he wants milk, but will latch on and not even get a letdown before he starts pulling off, latching on, pulling off, biting, etc. I think my supply is low because I have been giving him too many solids. He's got 8 teeth at 10.5 months, and can eat pretty much anything. He loves solids and begs for them. I am so not ready for him to wean, and want to try to get this on the right track again. How should I go about it? Do I cut down solids drastically, forcing him to nurse more? I started the domperidone tonight after I realized my supply was lower than I thought. Can I take fenugreek also? or should I just do the domperidone? Someone tell me how to get this wonderful bf'ing relationship back. I am in tears.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Katina
You might be able to just take fenugreek vs the domperidone. I actually think fenugreek might kick in quicker vs the dom. It takes about 48 hrs for me to see an increase from fenugreek. I was hit hard around 9-10 mo by multiple cases of mastitis and my supply dipped. If it is that low I would take 12 fenugreek a day, 4 pills 3x a day with food or around food (can cause a blood sugar low in some people otherwise). Also, pump as much as you can! even if it is after zach is in bed.

have you tried pumping or stimulating letdown BEFORE he nurses?? That can help interest the reluctant nurser.

Also, oatmeal every am really helps me. Just keep offering whenever you can and he will come back to it

Re the solids, I don't know what to tell you. My dd is 13 mo and a bit of a reluctant eater, but I started solids VERY slowly b/c I didn't want her to prefer them over me. If my dd was prefering food over me at that age I would definitely have cut back on the solids a bit.

#3 ·
Thanks Carrie! I started the Dom last night, and can take fenugreek also if it's safe. I put him to bed with me last night and he stay latched on the bigger part of the night, eating a few times, but mostly just a paci. I haven't started the oatmeal, but will do that today. I haven't pumped before latching him on, and this morning he seemed not as impatient to wait for the letdown (which I finally felt on both sides again). I will definitely cut way down on the solids as much as I can. Thanks for your help, it means a lot!

#4 ·
fenugreek is TOTALLY safe!! I just suggested it since I have read that dom is considered a "bigger gun" in terms of milk production than the fenugreek. But whatever works!

Glad that you had some success overnight. lol, I was working towards reducing night nursing until julia got sick and went on strike. then I was glad to nurse her at night!

when she went on strike I just pumped to relieve myself and keep up suppy and didn't offer ebm in a sippy to her.

oh, sometimes breast compressions help me whne she is mad and waiting for a letdown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.