Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! My 4 year old cat Randy (who I love very much) has a UTI so I purchased some holistic medicine from PetAlive.com. It is in granule form that you simply take a large sprinkle and put it on the back of his tongue. I just tried to do it and got a little in there-my dh sprinkled while I attempted to pry his mouth open. Its not enough and I really want him to feel better so anyone have some tips to get him to take it? Can I put it in food? A treat? Some other way?

Thank you so much! I have been so stressed about him feeling bad!!!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I had to give my cat tablets and we crushed them and mixed them with some wet food.

If it's granules, I wonder if you can kind of put it inside a soft flexible treat and then form it into a pill shape, then use a pill shooter or something to get it into him?

Or, mix it with some butter and put it on his nose - he'll lick it off his nose.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
How much do you have to give him at a time? One of my cats is on daily meds (pills) and I bought some Pill Pockets treats from Petsmart. Do you think you could get enough of the powder into one or two of those? These are the ones I have.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
I don't really have any advice, we always use liquid medicine and a syringe/dropper or man handle pills down their throats.. can you share what medicine you're using? Does your kitty have crystals in his urine or is there bacteria?

Hope your kitty feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Vets and pet stores usually sell something that I call a pill plunger. It looks like a syringe but is made to pill an animal. You can put a pill in it and jam it (gently) in the back of kitty's throat. I would get some digestive capsules from a health food store, put the granules in a capsule, and use a plunger to pill the cat. That is how I used to pill my kitties who were not as easy going as my current guy.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Along with all of the suggestions you've received so far, I would also recommend swaddling the cat in a towel while you're giving the meds. That helped me immensely when I was giving medicine to my cat. The vet suggested this to me, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner!

Jill

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
How much do you have to give him at a time? One of my cats is on daily meds (pills) and I bought some Pill Pockets treats from Petsmart. Do you think you could get enough of the powder into one or two of those? These are the ones I have.
We've had great luck with the pill pockets. We give one plain, then kind of tease with the one that has the pill, then follow with another plain one. The cat gets all excited waiting for the second one and then eats it quickly to get to the third. I really didn't think they'd work so it was a happy surprise.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did the butter on the nose thing and it worked!!! I just need to wipe it a little lower and put some more granules! Thanks! I will let you know if it fails next time!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Hi Mama,
This is one case where I would say that meds in pill form or syringe form would be much easier. At least the cats I have had would not really stand for "sprinkling"! Can you sprinkle it on her food? Or even into water and then into a syringe? Some meds you can do this with w/out it affecting the power of the meds.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much for your help! I really dont have the money to switch to pills or a dropper med so I have to stick with the granules. The butter on the nose thing is working!! So thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-lovely View Post
Thank you all so much for your help! I really dont have the money to switch to pills or a dropper med so I have to stick with the granules. The butter on the nose thing is working!! So thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!
Glad to hear it! I've also heard to do it w/peanut butter for dogs but I don't know if that would work for cats. It might work with regular wet food on her nose if the cat is supposed to be losing weight; we used this trick for a cat who couldn't gain weight so the extra fat in butter wasn't a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.