Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend from High School just had a baby. She has really been through a lot. The baby is a dwarf, which they did not know, and now she is having a terrible time breastfeeding. She has been told she has insufficient glandular tissue and will never be able to produce more than 6 oz. per day. I, on the other hand can feed DS and then pump 6 oz. after each feeding. I HATE to pump, but she has asked me to pump for her baby. I said yes. Any advice on how to up my supply even more? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If you pump 6 ounces after each feeding, that should be plenty! You do not want to get yourself where you are engorged all the time, because you *will* get mastitis. At this point the baby is probably not taking any more than 2 oz at a feeding. freeze in 2 oz. increments so none will be wasted.<br><br>
Now, who told her she has insufficient tissue and on what basis? Also, she should try the <a href="http://www.motherlove.com/prd_tinctures.html#moremilk" target="_blank">Motherlove Herbals Special Blend</a>. The goat's rue helps build mammary tissue, plus all the herbals galactagogues will increase output from the glands she does have.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your friend can use a Lact-Aid nursing supplementer so baby can get whatever milk she can produce as well as your extra. have her check out the lact-aid.com site. Its very kind of you to want to help her. some people do have less than perfect tissue so she may indeed need some extra milk but her milk may be more plentiful than she knows as expressing and measuring is not absolute. She is also welcome to drop in at the <a href="http://fourfriends.com/abrw/" target="_blank">fourfriends.com/abrw/</a> site where she will have lots of peers who are nursing with less than full supplies as their babies are adopted.<br>
Be sure and drink 3 quarts of liquid daily and you can also try the magic bowl of oatmeal daily as well. If you would like a donor milk sheet which has some other hints e-mail me at <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts