Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble with my DS for several weeks now. He'll wake up in the middle of the night and stay awake for several hours. My DH is a chef and doesn't get home until about 11 p.m. so when DS would wake up, I'd hand DS over to Dh and they'd hang out in the living room. Sometimes watching a video or something to try to get him to go to sleep. This has not been working, so I'm trying something new, no TV, low lights and no playing. Last night was our first night of trying this.<br><br>
Well, he woke up last night at 10:30 (he went down at 8:30). At<br>
first I just let him lay there in bed with me, but he got super<br>
wiggly and then started crying so we got up to get a bottle. He<br>
didn't want the bottle, so I put him in the "safe" room and I laid<br>
down on the couch in there. We kept the lights really low, kept the TV off and put all his loud toys away. Then he'd grab a book and throw it on me. I'd go to pick him up to read to him and he'd<br>
scramble off my lap and walk away.<br>
I could tell he was starting to get sleepy, so I laid him down with<br>
me. He started screaming bloody murder. Then, DH came home and that riled him up. I went outside to calm down and I hear DH giving DS french fries (ARgh!) and saying "Can you say more?"<br>
I'm thinking, shut up jerk. You're riling him up and giving him junk food!<br>
So, I make DH go to the other room. Another screaming fit. I<br>
notice DS's really warm, so I take his jammies off and put him in<br>
a onsie. He finally starts to settle down and the stupid house alarm starts making this weird beeping...saying we need a new battery (great timing!) Of course, DS woke up and started<br>
screaming again!<br>
During the screaming matches, I just held him and hummed a song to him. I hope that was the right thing to do. I know what would have made him stop crying- putting in a video- but I didn't want to do that. We've got to break this cycle, right? Did I do the right thing?<br>
We didn't get back to sleep until about 1 a.m. and I'm majorly tired today.<br>
I just want some input. What did I do wrong, if anything? What<br>
would you have done?<br>
TIA!<br>
Marcy

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Hm. When dd would get up around 1 year of age and want to play in the middle of the night, I'd first try to get her back to sleep by nursing in bed. If that didn't work, I'd take her out to the (dark) living room, turn on a night light, and try to rock and/or walk her back to sleep out there. I would not, <span style="text-decoration:underline;">under any circumstances</span>, play with her, read to her, etc. etc., as I suspected that would encourage her to get up more frequently (since she'd have something fun to do).<br><br>
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts