Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 yo has been out of sorts since school ended. He will be starting kindergarten, at a new school, he just left the preschool of 2 years that he loved and his teacher that he loved. He has been wanting to be a homebody which is fine with me. I figure we need to regroup and reconnect. Well, this week is pretty crazy and he is already melting down. I watched my friends kids for 5 hours yesterday, he had soccer and the grocery store today, tomorrow is a party, thursday his friends will be picking up the gecko we have been watching for them and they will stay for a couple of hours, friday he will be going to the movies AND we will be leaving to go camping on friday. The friday stuff has been in the works for a couple of weeks and his friend has to get his gecko back. I need to pack and shop more for camping and am stressing over the time i need to do that. SO, I want to scratch the party tomorrow. Except, he already knows about it and I know he wants to go very badly, BUT, I don't want him melting down everyday and having our weekend that we have all been looking forward to become a grump fest.<br>
How would you approach it with your child? Something has to budge in order for us to get things done in a manner that the whole family is not falling apart.<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Could you drop the gecko off yourself and not stay to play? Or if not, call the gecko kids' mom and let her know that you guys are swamped and can't hang out after all when they come to get gecko?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Maybe you could tell him you need to get more things done for your big trip, and that he will have to miss the party, but, perhaps you could set up a special playdate after your trip with the birthday child where your son could give them his present, and still see his friend?<br>
And I second the drop the gecko and run... seems like a pretty busy schedule and maybe more playtime needs to wait for another day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts