Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need a new set up. My original plan was to put up the body pillow to prevent the babe from accidentally rolling off the bed until he was big enough to get down by himself (around 9 or 10 months I figured - right when DS1 began really crawling)….well, DS2 had other plans- he has been mobile (as in crawling at a fair speed) for a month now. He is just over six months old! Which is way to little to get down safely.

Yesterday we had an incident. The baby was napping and I was on the toliet, baby fusses (as he does when he wakes up), before I can wipe and run in there, DS is crawling over the body pillow and is headed off the bed head first. I caught him just as his head was hitting the carpet.

Putting up a crib to side car is not an option (we simply do not have room) and I'd like to avoid putting the mattress on the floor (as it provides much needed storage space in our small home). What kinds of bed rails etc do you use with a crawling babe? He is sleeping between us (since he can easily climb over the body pillow now) and the other night he was headed for the foot of the bed when I woke up.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Our DS was mobile around that same age and crawled over DH on several occasions and I found him crawling around on the floor playing with the dog. The fall off the bed never phased the kid. We ended up pushing our bed against the wall and then putting the baby near the wall, then me, then DH.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Hmmm, I don't recommend a bedrail for that young...he could simply crawl OVER one (they are not that tall) and then go headfirst to the floor. Leaving him there sleeping alone is not a good idea. Mattress on the floor is the safest. I know what you're saying about storage space, we do that too. But...is there somewhere for the next several months you could put that stuff, and put the mattress on the floor? After a short while you could teach him how to safely get down from the bed.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work nights (two nights a week) and DH said that he fell off the bed again last night while I was gone.
DH was in the bed with him (but had left him by the body pillow instead of by the wall.

My baby has fallen off the bed multiple times in the past two days.
I feel like an awful parent. I don't think DH will go for putting the bed on the floor but I'm going crazy over this. I am so anxious and my stomach is in knots. I barely slept when I got home last night for fear he would fall off the bed again.

This is really not helping my ppd and anxiety all.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
What I did with #1, and I hope this was safe, was to get a mesh siderail (like you get from Babys R Us or Target or wherever) and then roll a big beach towel up really tight and stuff it between the mesh and the side of the bed, so there wasn't a pocket for the baby to fall into. It sure seemed safe and it worked for us. Hopefully a safety expert will comment on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.