Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a 5 year old that has lost 2 lbs in the last month because he REFUSES to eat anything except cereal and pb&j. I know that they say they won't actually starve themselves, but I am worried none the less (as is my dh). What I'm looking for here is some input as to what I can do to try and encourage him to eat other foods and be healthy. I have tried all kinds of things and even letting him eat just what he wants, but it doesn't seem to be doing him any good :(  I'm starting to think that I need to take him to the dr and have him checked out again, but he was just there for his 5 yr check up a month ago and was given a clean bill of health. I'm just very confused and a bit worried about his health. Any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts would be appreciated :)</p>

·
Registered
355 Posts
<p>I have a 7yo son on the spectrum who is a very picky eater. And my 3yo son loves to eat but not always what we would like him to eat. Think Popsicles for breakfast. lol.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What has helped is if I have three choices for meals. And they can eat anything else they want whenever for snacks. It helps cut down on being a short order cook around here. With three kids I get tired of being in the kitchen. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My oldest son who is on the spectrum gets different treatment when not at home because he has real debilitating oral sensitivities so we don't go through our whole program of helping him eat when not at home. It's stressful enough for him at home.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would just try to allow the cereal at breakfast but see if he will eat other things with the cereal---some yogurt or a smoothie etc. And then allow the pp&j but slice up some fruit on the side or veggies etc. It helps us with our son if we allow him to eat his favorite but only if he eats something with it.  Picky eating is rough. Hang in there.</p>

·
Registered
176 Posts
<p>My 5 year old DS only ate 7 different type food and was started to slowly lose interest in those foods too.  We were able to get him into a food group with my DD's occupational therapist and we've seen great improvement.  In food group they work through the sensory stuff behind eating and get the kids used to the smell, texture, taste and look of different foods in a fun way.  The kids are able to spit out a food if they try it and at least bite it.  DS is still a picker eater but at least now I feel good that he is eating more balanced foods.  You may be able to find some information online about ways you can simulate a food group at home. </p>

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
<p>I've never had an eater who was <em>that</em> picky, but really, you can't do much except to keep introducing and offering other foods while making the food he WILL eat as healthy and calorie-dense as possible. If you're not giving him whole milk, you should start, IMO. Low- or no-sugar cereal. See if he'll accept a bite or two of berries or bananas in his cereal, or nuts. Whole grain bread, natural PB (not Jif), jelly made with juice instead of corn syrup. And multi-vitamins if he'll take them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In the meantime, try not to make it a power struggle. I know it's hard.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, when my kids went through somewhat picky phases, I would give silly names to the foods they were hesitant to try. I never forced them to eat foods they didn't like, but encouraged them to try a bite. Even now (though they pretty much eat anything), I'll say, "You can always spit it out if you don't like it. What's it gonna hurt to try it?"</p>

·
Registered
28 Posts
<p>My nephew (Asbergers) was always picky, but by 5 had also reduced himself to nothing but PB&J and cereal.  His parents were desperate, he was constantly in to see his ped, he had 8 hours a week of various therapies, and NO ONE figured out that the poor kid had reflux.  Finally, they switched ped's, and the new dr. has helped them out tremendously (not just with the reflux issue).  A year later, my nephew is now eating about 15 foods on a regular basis, and is much more willing to try something new. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not a dr, and I'm not saying your ds has reflux.  I AM saying to go see the dr and then go get a 2nd opinion.  Two foods is not normal, even for picky eaters.</p>

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
<p>What other foods are you offering?  What sticks out the most from your post is that the foods he is eating are processed foods (especially cereal, which is marketed as healthy, but really is not good at all).  These foods are very, very high in sugar and sodium.  They really screw up the natural balance in the body.  It might be a good idea to slowly move away from processed foods.  You can switch to natural peanut butter and homemade, low-sugar jam for example.  In other words, gradually make the foods he does like to be healthier and try to move away from the sugar/salt craving.  Then introduce other, whole foods.</p>

·
Registered
234 Posts
<p>Would he be willing to try drinking a shake?  You could make it with ice cream/yogurt and pretty much any flavor he would like - even peanut butter and banana would be delicious - if he would drink it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You could add protein powder, flax seed (ground), and any other number of nutrients into it, if it is something he will drink...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Best wishes!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts