Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to having our dfs come to us, I had big dreams of using slings and/or carriers. I have accumulated the following: cotton pouches, a generic wrap, a mei tai, two front carriers (like bjorn- but not), and my latest purchase an OTSBH. So, I have had NO success using any of them. Well, not entirely true, I did have him in the wrap for a couple of minutes without him flipping out. I am pretty sure it's user error
!

So, I am feeling the ring sling will be the best, mostly because it's padded and looks comfy. But when I tried it on it seemd so small. I got it from a mama on the TP and it's the right size according to the chart on the OTSBH website. I've read the directions but I'm still kind of lost.

PLEASE...I beg you all...share your tips/secrets so I can be successful with this. My little guy is just two months old.

THANKS

·
Registered
401 Posts
Have you tried an unpadded ring sling? Although I never got the hang of ring slings myself, I've heard some mamas say heavily padded slings like the OTSBH are harder to manipulate. I found pouches much easier to use. I first had a hotsling and then I got a Wise Woman and a Baby Space Adjustable Pouch. I think the WW and BSAP are great starter sling since there is less fabric to deal with then with traditional ring slings.

Also, I found wrap love when I had another mama show me how to tie one in person. Perhaps you can hook up with another babywearing mama who can show you some tips?

Melissa

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Indeed for a two month old I find the wrap to be the most convenient and liked by the baby (I think because the closeness resembles the womb. Anyway, have you checked out http://www.wearyourbaby.com --lotsof resources on babywearing using a variety of different things from the ordinary t-shirt to sling ring to traditional carries. Hope you find a carrier that works for you! They are definitely a lifesaver.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Slings often seem small until you get used to them. You want the lowest point of the baby (usually their bottom) to be right at about your navel, not hanging below your waist. Have you looked at any of the articles on http://www.thebabywearer.com? They have all kinds of step-by-step photo instructions, videos, etc. There is bound to be something there that helps you click with at least on of your carriers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.