Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fp doc really wants us to get CLO into dd. We've tried making pink milk with the country life powder and the Nordic Naturals chewable strawberry bubbles.

Has any one tried sneeking it in baked goods, home made nut butter (not that I know how)?

Ds is yanking me away now...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use Green Pastures Mint kind (greenpasture.org) and use a medicine dropper for my 11 mo dd. So far she opens wide and has no problem with taking it that way. They also have a cinnamon flavor which is really good too. (but the orange is way to fishy for me, but that was when they just came out and might have made it better. The mint really covers up the taste. Some people suggest taking it in a sneaky manner and act like it is a treat and only for big people and then they want to be big too. Baking with it would destroy the good stuff i think.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
My 3 1/2 tear old eats the Twin Labs orange right off of a spoon. He'd drink it out of the bottle if I'd let him.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by artisticat
I use Green Pastures Mint kind (greenpasture.org) and use a medicine dropper for my 11 mo dd. So far she opens wide and has no problem with taking it that way. They also have a cinnamon flavor which is really good too. (but the orange is way to fishy for me, but that was when they just came out and might have made it better. The mint really covers up the taste. Some people suggest taking it in a sneaky manner and act like it is a treat and only for big people and then they want to be big too. Baking with it would destroy the good stuff i think.
We have the mint Green Pastures CLO too. My kids are older, 8 and 5 -- the 15 year won't take it and I can't force her, she says she doen't want "fish breath"
, and they take it without too much complaint. We have also had the orange and they took that too. I have a harder time getting my 8 year old DD to take the Activator X butter oil.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
We started with the strawberry Nordic Natural ones you mentioned. At first he refused. He thought it was medicine, which he does not like or usually take. I just keep offering, and I even would play around and pretend I ate them. And told him how yummy they were. And how you can chew them like gum. I made them sound fabulous, like everyone want them
now he takes them willingly and would prefer them to candy. He wants his "fish balls" in the lid and takes them like a shot. He is only 2.5 though so he is young and these games worked for us.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I just sampled the Green Pastures cinnamon and couldn't believe how much better it is than mint! We have the mint and my girls take it no problem. I'm just lucky. When we first started taking it, I turned my back to them and pretended this was a treat mommy was having and didn't offer them any. Boy were they clamoring for it! It's so silly b/c I just started taking the butter oil, too, and my oldest has refused it. And it tastes like butter! Just her mood that day that I first offered it. Or I was too eager for her to take it and she picked up on it!

Anyway, most people I know give it to their kids in OJ.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yitlan
I just sampled the Green Pastures cinnamon and couldn't believe how much better it is than mint!
Ooh, we are getting close to needing to order more, so I will get the cinnamon next time. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
83 Posts
We use Carlson's CLO (I think they carry it at the Vitamin Shop) and it is the best tasting one I have every found. It's lemon flavored and it really doesn't taste fishy. It's hard to believe but you can take it with water and it tastes okay.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I got to check the label on the bottle, but I have a brand of wild salmon oil in capsules that are checked for impurities. I give it to ds everyday in his homemade veggie soup, which is tomato-based. I love that he eats this soup. I stock it with wonderful organic veggies and beans, and plus he gets his omega-3's! It tastes like a fish stew. He slurps up the liquid part even when he doesn't want all the veggies.

BTW, I think capsules keep better than the liquid in bottles.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
We keep a spoon of honey close by. DD will take the oil and then eats the honey to get the taste out of her mouth. She LOVES honey and it is the only time she gets it so it is a real treat

tara

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have my kids take it straight up. Then wash it down with milk. There's 5 of them and honestly, it doesn't bother them a bit. Besides, I never gave them an option. It's kinda weird because I hated it as a kid...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I give both girls the lemon flavoured Carleson's fish oil. DD1 has been taking it for close to a year, about 9 months of it off the spoon. I used to put it in her yogurt, but would stress whenever she didn't finish (don't you want just one more bite????). Decided enough was enough and went for the spoon. We started with DD2 at about 13 months. She'd been watching big sis take it so long, she was demanding a turn of her own. Who am I to argue?

DD1 likes her chewable vitamins (berry flavoured Kangavites) and just pops them in her mouth as soon as she has taken her oil.

·
Registered
624 Posts
DD and I have a teaspoon of the Nordic Naturals orange flavor most mornings. She wants to be big and have what I have, LOL. I don't think it tastes fishy at all. I bet it would hide well in a bit of orange juice or a smoothie too...

-Kelly

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I mix about 1/4 tsp in a bowl of mac and cheese. Not quite as much as I'd like ds to eat, but more starts to smell fishy (which bothers me more than ds).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.