Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has any suggestions for how to get a 2 yo to sleep later than 4am, I'm all ears. I'm losing it over here.

DS has always been the world's worst sleeper. He woke every 30-45 minutes for most of his 1st year of life. But we would sleep until 7:30 every morning. I started nightweaning him this summer (18 months) but it wasn't until early September that he started sleeping through the night (mostly). But now he's decided that getting up for the day at 4 am is perfectly acceptable.

He either wakes at around 1 am and climbs into my bed (he's on a mattress on the floor in my room) and goes right back to sleep or he sleeps right through until about 4am. Either way at around 4 am he pops up and tries to get out of bed and leave the bedroom. When I tell him it's night time and to lie down, he screams.

I can get him to lie back down for a few minutes. As soon as he seems like he might be falling back to sleep, he pops up again and tries to get leave the bed. Lather, rinse, repeat until I finally give up around 5 am and get up. I try to keep him quiet but I think he must be waking DD up. So now she gets up aound 5:30 when she normally would get up at 7-7:30.

She goes to afternoon preschool and she's a mess by the end of the day. She cries over everything because she's so tired. I have no patience with the kids during the day. I fall asleep on the couch by 8pm, which means I'm not spending time with DH. So, basically, DS is distrupting the entire family with his early waking.

So, how can you make someone sleep when their body is saying it's time to get up? BTW, I've tried later bedtimes and it didn't change anything. Also, it's obvious DS is still tired when he wakes this early.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. But you do have my sympathy. I have a kid who has never changed her sleeping patterns. She is 16 & is up at 5 am, and she has been this way since infancy.

The good thing is that we hs and I don't need to get up with her, and the other good thing is that she no longer nurses , and can also get her own breakfast. lol

But for a few years there, it was tough. (Tough equals 'sometimes hellish' lol ). Dh & I used to take turns getting up with her.

I don't miss that!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.