Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf and I are separating. We were never married and we have two children. I have a business out of my home and my ex-partner works as a carpenter. Financially, we provide equally for the family. This is all I know...<br><br>
Where do we start the legal process? Do we hire a lawyer? How do I file for child support? I am on state medical assistance, so I was going to start there. My dd gets SSI, and I've already contacted them about the change.<br><br>
I need help on how to determine the financial ramifications of our situation. I know the EX won't help in any way....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Where are you? Different states/provinces have different rules.<br><br>
It never hurts to have a lawyer in situations like this, but if you can't afford one, it's still possible to do some of this yourself.<br><br>
First, the child support. That you were never married does not usually change child support procedures, except paternity must be legally established if it hasn't been already. (If your BF signed a voluntary acknowledgment in the hospital or later, that should suffice, but do check.) After that, check your local family court's web site--they often have do-it-yourself forms and flowcharts. Sometimes, a local law school will operate a self-help clinic and you can come in and ask questions.<br><br>
Your public assistance case worker might also be able to help. In my state (WI), people receiving public benefits will get assistance with establishing child support.<br><br>
As for other financial details relating to your separation, that's difficult. Many states consider unmarried partners to be pretty much strangers, which means it's up to contract, real-estate and landlord-tenant law rather than family law to determine finances post-separation. A lawyer would be a good thing here.<br><br>
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts