Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Help! I've switched from driving to work to taking the light rail. I need to walk ~15 min to the stop and ~10-15 from the stop to work (I could theoretically take a bus for this second leg if I timed it well, but it's usually faster to walk). And then repeat on the way home.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We live in Oregon, and so I need rain gear.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I own 2 lovely rain hats. My rain coats have turned out to be not as waterproof as I thought. In addition, my legs are getting soaked from the run-off (my coats are both about mid-thigh length). Umbrellas are useless in our climate.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What can I get that will</p>
<p>1. Allow me to walk quickly?</p>
<p>2. Keep my body and my legs dry?</p>
<p>3. Not break the bank?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do I need a trench coat? Rain pants? (Sometimes I wear skirts, sometimes pants). Other?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
<p>I am in exactly the same boat. I've tried several "breathable waterproof" jackets, but they just don't last as long as I would like them to, particularly since they cost between two and three hundred bucks. I want something with a good hood that has a stiff brim so that it won't interfere with my peripheral vision. MEC coats are shapeless and boxy (almost a smaller version of men's styles). I know that lululemon has a knee length rain coat, but I don't know how it would do in a torrential downpour. Hopefully somebody out there has the answer.</p>

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
<p>DS1 lives in PDX and loves his new rain pants from <a href="http://www.showerspass.com/%C2%A0" target="_blank">http://www.showerspass.com/ </a> They are pricey but seem to work really well.  Doesn't look as though they carry a trench, but maybe a milsurp would have something.  The rest of us were out there for a visit and walked in a steady rain pretty much under your circumstances -- bus or MAX stop to home / Powell's.  DS1 had an old military trench, DH and DS2 wore gore-tex (LL Bean), and I had a Talbot's trench.  They all worked just fine.  And the boys couldn't say enough great things about their gore-tex shoes!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts