Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the shrewsbury renaissance faire in sept. Does anyone have some simple costume patterns?
DD can wear 6-9 or 12 mo.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
: to see what kind of responses you get!

I am currently ISO a women's pattern for a friend who wants me to sew her a costume.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I have some women's patterns that I was thinking about putting on the TP actually. What level of authenticity are you thinking of? These are standard commercial patterns, sorta "Hollywood" medieval.

For a more "authentic" look, this is a good start for basic dos and don'ts. There used to be this one site that I sent everyone to with easy instructions to draft your own patterns, but it seems to have disappeared.
Figuring out how to make your own chemise (undergown) and skirts is easy; it's all geometry! Corsets and doublets and gowns are a bit harder. I made a friend this outfit with the Butterick corset pattern. It is advanced level, but it's one of the few commonly available patterns that I recommend.
There are also some historic costumers selling very nice renaissance patterns online, like Reconstructing History and Margo Anderson. But they tend to be spendy. You really have to want to knock someone's socks off to invest that.
:

Babies are easy; they just wear a gown like a nightie.
My daughter at 6 mo.

I have: McCalls 2806 (Ever After style, sizes 8-16), 3053 (also Ever After style but fancier, formal gowns, sizes 14-24) and Simplicity 5293 (serving wench or middle class, 18-32W), 5294 (Ever After style 18-24W), and 5922 (wench w/ 3 tiered jagged skirt or middle class w/ plain skirt). Some of them are out of print now, so the pattern #'s may no longer be valid. I also have some guy poofy shirt and more gothy women's dresses. I'm seriously never going to sew this stuff. When I bought them, I was just starting sewing and I make my own patterns now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.