Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my daughter was a newborn she hated pooping. She grunted and groaned for the first couple of months. We did abdomen massage, bicycle pumps, altered my diet and eventually the grunting stopped. Everyone told me it was normal for some newborns, that some just "grunted, and cried when they pooped"<br>
so she stopped and her breast fed poops came with ease and she showed no sign of strain or having any problems.<br><br>
Well for the 2 months since we introduced puree's and now a bit clumpier foods, shes hating pooping again. Her poops now have the same texture as grown up poops. They seem too large for her to be pooping but they were like that even with the puree foods i was making her.<br><br>
Its all organic food i feed her. Shes drinking a couple of ounces of water a day and still breast feeding quite often through the night and a few times during the day.<br><br>
I've increased my fiber intake in my diet to see if that helpped ( no change ) she still crys when she poops. Its not a shreaking cry like when she bumps her head on something, but its a cry, with tears. And the second shes done pooping she seems to be back to her happy self, she even wants to play with it before i flush it down the toilet which of course i dont let her do.<br><br>
i just don't know what to do. Everyone keeps saying "as long as shes pooping once a week shes fine" shes pooping every other day, and sometimes every day, but to me, if shes crying can she really be okay? I don't think so.<br><br>
when she poops she has to push for it to come out, and it seems to strain her a bit, but they come out quickly and its over in a minute. But how do i do whatever it is I need to do to make this easy for her. She shouldn't be crying right?<br><br>
I don't know any other mothers in my area, but my SIL's son never cried w/ his poops, does anyone's child do this? does anyone have advice for my 8 1/2 mo old daughter and me? There MUST be something I can do. I don't want to take her to the doctor, they are so violating, i can just see them doing something awful to her.....<br>
mommies....HELP!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I can sympathize. My dd had poop problems from about 18 months until she potty learned several months ago. She started pretty late with solid foods and shortly after that her problems started. She would just cry and strain when pooping. It got really bad at times. When she turned two, she started having to take a prescription laxative, Miralax. This was after we'd tried everything natural to try and help her. She started using the potty this past February, and she hasn't had any problems since. It was like a magic cure!<br><br>
Sorry I have no real advice, just sympathy. It's so hard seeing them in pain like that!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
please don't be upset if this is of NO help, it's a stab in the dark, but what about looking into EC (elimination communication)?<br>
i am just a mama like you, in no way an expert on anything, but it seems like a possibility could be as simple as she doesn't like pooping in diapers. now that her food, and thus poop, has changed again, she is aware again. her signals were her way of letting you know she had to go. now she is signaling again to let you know she wants some help with her situation, could be -????<br><br>
one caveat: do NOT be discouraged by anything you read that the window of learning time for ec is in the first few months - she is still signaling and VERY aware of the impending process and mamas do it with 18 mo kids and stuff.<br>
just a thought. hope this helps or that something comes together.<br><br>
i do ec myself, so pm if you wanna. the message boards on it have lots of experienced mamas.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Kate, I agree. If I would've known then what I know now, I would have done EC with my dd! It would have saved her (and me) lots of misery.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
My ds had many pooping problems!!! They are about worked out now. Sometimes it made me hurt just to watch him! The P's worked. Prunes, peas, pears, plums... For a while I would put one ounce of apple juice in a 4 ounce botte, fill it up the rest of the way with water and that would take care of it. It gave him extra water to loosen things up and the apple juice has a laxative effect. Some use prune juice but I figured since it was an ongoing problem the water bottle with more appetizing apple juice was best. I'm a FFer and my son grew like crazy so I think he just didn't have enough liquid left in him to help him poop. I have read elsewhere on MDC that increasing YOUR water intake will have an effect on your breastmilk and help with babe's constipation. Pears and Peas work really well for us too though. Just beware of pea poop!!!! Avoid rice cereal, banana's and apple sauce. Ds can eat them now that his diet is more varied but those things alone will just stop him up.<br><br>
Oh, one more thing - this is where an exersaucer or a hop n pop really comes in handy. We would put ds in the hop n pop every morning and he would poop there. Much easier for him working it out. That is for smaller babies though, the exersaucer would be for larger babes. DS stands now so he can work it out alone.<br><br>
Good luck! Happy pooping!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts