Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this is not appropriate here. If anyone would rather I post this somewhere else, I can ask a mod to move it. I actually thought about posting it in parenting, but I figured you all would be a wealth of information and have probably been through this to some extend.

We're dealing with a bunch of information and I am just not sure what the next step should be.

Michael was homeschooled up until November of 2005, when we put him in school. He was just angry all the time and (I thought) deliberately not doing work. So we put him in school and he did OK, but was placed in OT for some small motor skills issues. He was dismissed from OT in June, but still had the same issues (poor pencil grip, difficulty with fastening clothing). Additionally, he's always been very angry and has had issues with anything involving directions. We would ask him to get the shoe by the fireplace and he would look mildly shocked, as if he was surprised to hear we even had a fireplace.

So, this past summer two things happened. (1) We started going to a pscyhologist to deal with some of the anger issues and (2) he was given an IQ test to see if he qualified for the gifted program. The psychologist was helpful in giving us some discipline guidelines, but didn't seem to think there was a problem. The IQ test showed some surprising results. He was 99% for some things, and in the 16% and 5% for others. His major issues were with coding and processing speed, which I still haven't quite figured out.

She suggested a functional vision exam (which is scheduled for the end of September) and a reevaluation by the occupational therapist. We did take him for a preliminary vision exam at Pearle and his eyes are fine, but she believes he is severely red-green color blind. Micahel also has a physical coming up, but we see a family doc, not a pediatrician, and I really don't expect it to show anything.

We got back the results of his OT evaluation. Here is the summary of the results:
According to the standardized test, Michael's raw score of 16 on the Beery Test of Visual Motor Integration (VMA)is age equivalent to 5 years, 11 months. Michael's raw score of 19 pm the Beery Developmental Test of Motor Coordination is age equivalent to 4 years, 0 months. Michael's raw score of 19 on the Beery Developmental Test of Visual Perception is age equivalent to 6 years, 6 months. Michael appears to have difficulty with motor coordination, obtaining correct feedback of his body position in space, bilateral coordination,and attention to task.

She then goes on to recommend OT once a week for 45 minutes and lists 5 goals for OT.

I feel like I have a lot of puzzle pieces and no frame to put them in. We are going to go ahead and put him in OT for the last few weeks of summer, but are hoping the school will pick up the cost come September. We want to have our ducks in a row and let the school know what is going on, but I just don't know what to do next. The OT can't diagnose and there are no developmental pediatricians closer than 4 hours from us.

Do I call his psychologist and try to set up an appointment with the neuropsychologist at the practice? Do I do this now or wait until after he has his vision exam? Do I start talking to the school now about OT or wait until after the neuropsychologist gives a diagnosis, if there is one to be given?

Most of all, is this even anything? Everyone seems to say there's something going on, but no one seems to have a name for it. And I think there is something. I just don't know what. Michael has always been sort of clumsy and clueless, but I chalked it up to him being...well, Michael. And my husband has dyspraxia, but at this point in his life he compensates so well that it's not all that noticable. I guess I always though maybe Michael was imitating his dad to some extent? Or that we didn't focus enough on things like motor and listening skills? Or that it was just him being a boy? I feel so guilty now that he was having problems and I never noticed.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I always recommend getting a second opinion! Of course sometimes that is different from the first opinion...

Also start lining up appts now because IME they can be several months away and it's best to get in line now.

Also keep a paper trail and write down in a notebook or journal the names of everyone you talk to on the phone!

I don't have any advice for you other than that. I decided against using my county's public school system in favor of private therapy. It took a long time to get them to pay for it. I think they started to pay after we saw the neurodevelopmental pediatrician and the geneticist.

Today we go for OT for the first time. My son is 38 mos. He has apraxia and dysarthria in addition to other birth defects.

{{{Hugs}}}

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 38 mos

·
Registered
661 Posts
First of all....lots of hugs
to you. I have felt that "lost with a handful of puzzle pieces" feeling for 6 years with dd. It is a very frustrating and alone feeling!

I recently (through some other posts here) have discovered that I think dd has dypraxia. We're seeing our pediatrician for a check on her scoliosis soon and I will present my case to him.

When reading your post, the first thing I thought was "dyspraxia". Then I read that your dh has it....If I were you, I would present this info to all of the caregivers you see with ds. In my research, I did find that a psycholigist as well as OT can diagnose dyspraxia. From my past experience, I would suggest pushing until you feel your ds is getting EVERYTHING he needs. If that ends in an official diagnosis, great. If not, at least he'll be getting the services he needs.

The school should absolutely provide him with an IEP. Add to your list a call to the school requesting info on recieving IEP for him.

Good luck and lots of hugs.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the notebook suggestion. I hadn't even thought of that.

I talked to our private psychologist today (that sounds snotty; I just mean as opposed to the school psychologist, who has been very helpful) and he is going to have the neuropsychologist in the practice call us.

I'm unsure whether I should call the school now or wait. ON the hand, I want to have my ducks in a row for when school starts. On the other hand, without a diagnosis, what can they really do? Additionally, I don't even know what I would be asking them to do. Provide some OT I guess and make allowances for paper and pencil/timed tasks. I don't even know what department to call. Should I maybe call the school psychologist who evaluated him in the first place?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.