Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! DS is 22 mos. today. He eats fairly well but still gets a lot of breastmilk. Now that I'm pg, I'm worried that if my supply dwindles (it hasn't yet), he will need to switch over and get the large percentage of his nutrition from solid food. Anyway, he loves millet porridge and eats that every morning. He also *used* to love "fakin bacon" which is just marinated tempeh made by lightlife. He doesn't anymore but has taking a liking to soy sausage (has isolated soy protein, etc) which his father eats but I avoid and really want him to avoid too. I can't believe he likes it so much he actually asks for it. Well, I've been trying all different kind of breakfast foods: boiled eggs, scrambled eggs--he hates eggs. Oatmeal with ground almonds or ground walnuts or ground cashews or dried cranberries or raisins or dried apple--he hates oatmeal. Waffles made with walnut or almond flour with blueberries or other fruit--couldn't care less. Toast with almond butter or peanut butter and jam--hates toast, even French Toast. He seems super content with millet porridge and a soy sausage but I am not content wth that and I feel like I've tried it all. Any other ideas for what I could make for breakfast that would appeal to a picky toddler? I'm not afraid of making things from scratch. TIA.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
I avoid meat analogs as they are usually loaded with sodium..

will he eat homemade muffins, breakfast bars or healthy cookies? you could sneak in the oatmeal at least (powdered maybe he wouldn't notice?), ground nuts,etc.

my DD hated eggs too until I started serving them with catsup.
:

another thing my kids enjoy is a granola parfait. (yogurt layered w/ granola) if you are vegan, silk yogurt is so yummy like this!

and then there's always a fruit bowl..my kiddos would survive on fresh fruit if I let them!

oh and maybe you could try a smoothie?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's not as healthy as what you've offered, but what about oatmeal with a little brown sugar? I figure (like the ketchup in the PP), that a little sugar to get the good stuff down isn't so bad.

My DD (who's a month younger than your babe) loves plain yogurt for breakfast. Sometimes I drizzle on a TINY bit of agave nectar. But that's not vegan. So that might not help.

Sorry if this is totally jumbled. Pregnancy brain!

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
DS eats at least one pancake every morning - they are half whole wheat flour, half ground oats, and I add flax seeds to the grinding also. No sugar added, except a little pure maple syrup on top. I throw in blueberries and sometimes mashed banana and he LOVES them.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
A friend gave me a recipe for nutritionally dense pancakes that dd loooooves.

1 egg
1/4 c. almond butter
1 T. honey
dash of cinnamon

Mix well, and drop onto pan with a little melted butter. Flip when edges lift slightly. Makes a toddler portion of silver dollar size pancakes.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
dd usually shares my morning smoothie...fruit (usually blueberries), homemade yogurt, protein powder, ice and some almond milk, with honey or agave nectar to sweeten.

or i just give her a bowl of blueberries, she loves that.

i've tried to give her waffles/pancakes/bread but she is not into them at all.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
nak

yogurt with granola and fruit,

multigran grain pancakes,

whole grain cereal with fruit,

whole grain english muffin /cream cheese and sliced pears with yogurt (for dipping)

multi grain muffins and fruit,

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Fruit with nut butter is great, or agave nectar - my kids love dipping all fruit in that.

Whole grain pancakes, my kids really like little ones that they can dip in syrup.

Quinoa with a little maple syrup or brown sugar.

Whole grain bagels with tofu cream cheese.

Mini muffins with fruit and whole grains in them.

I've also noticed that if the kids help me make whatever it is I'm cooking they are way more likely to eat it

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm not sure if your looking for vegan ideas, but my daughter loves cottage cheese and ____fill-in-the-blank____ for breakfast just about every morning we offer it. Mix with: Berries, applesauce, fruit cut up, flax seed or wheat germ sprinkle on top, granola, you name it...

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
If he really likes the millet, maybe you could slowly add another grain over the course of a week or two? So make it mostly millet a little brown rice/quinoa/oatmeal the first day working up to all of the new grain. Maybe give him some choices of fruits or nut/seed butters to mix into the millet? Make millet "cakes" to vary it up and see if that makes him more interested in a something that tastes similar but with different texture?

Maybe the millet porridge isn't the important part to you, I'm not sure from reading your post. We just have alot of food allergies in our family and I try to make sure we rotate things like grains. That may not be an issue for you though!

I also want to second the ketchup on the eggs suggestion
: Both my kids hated eggs to start with and loved them with ketchup. Now they will eat them anyway I fix them and my 3yo asks for oatmeal and eggs for dinner
We get ours from a local farm and they are good cheap protein, so I was happy to have them like eggs. Obviously there are lots of other protein ideas from the pp's too.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
A friend gave me a recipe for nutritionally dense pancakes that dd loooooves.

1 egg
1/4 c. almond butter
1 T. honey
dash of cinnamon

Mix well, and drop onto pan with a little melted butter. Flip when edges lift slightly. Makes a toddler portion of silver dollar size pancakes.
OOH! I wonder if that would work with sunbutter (minus the honey since its already sweet)? I am going to try that tommorrow!

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Maybe he likes heartier or saltier flavors (given he likes the spiced up tempeh bacon & soy sausage)? Maybe he'd like eggs cooked in some olive oil and sprinkled with a little something..a tiny bit of sea salt, some pepper, cumin? Also, ime, breakfast foods can be leftovers from the night before. Also ime, you have to offer a new food multiple times -- so it's not new-looking or tasting-- before a child accepts it. Kids like what is familiar.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanyMama View Post
My 19 mth old is loving banana sliced and served in vanilla hemp milk cereal style, with cinnamon. Fav bfast right now!

That's funny because that's my favorite breakfast too!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to pop in and say a big thanks for all the ideas! I'm trying each one. For a few days, the nutrient dense pancakes were a hit--now, not so much. On to the other idea! Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LorrieJ View Post
wow...where can I get vanilla hemp milk??? sounds delicious!
I can only get it at a local health food store. Well worth looking for IMO!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.