Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This issue has come up on another board that I frequent (not a parenting board at all)..... and someone has this argument to say. I don't have a response, so I'm going to post it here, and maybe some of you can help? I'm sorry if it seems incomplete... I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to the entire post.

Quote:
One point is what I mentioned above, which is that thimerosal, a preservative that has historically been used in vaccines (note the emphasis), contains around 49% ethylmercury. The reason people get up in arms about thimerosal is because of a fear of mercury poisoning; in fact, however, it is methylmercury that is the contaminant found in certain fish (which is why pregnant women are generally advised to steer clear of seafood during their pregnancy; I believe that may also be advised for breastfeeding women as well?). All the sources I've seen have said that thimerosal is safe in low doses (the only adverse side effects are minor, like swelling and redness at injection site), and the decision to eliminate thimerosal was merely a safety precaution. Very few vaccines contain thimerosal anymore (I have no idea what source Mike is giving for the content going up in 2000), and most are in vaccines that are given age seven and above (link to the CDC FAQ).

On autism: I found information about a study done in Denmark in the 90's that showed "no difference in the incidence of autism between vaccinated and unvaccinated children". [link] I'm a little bit hesitant about this one, since other information I found said that Denmark stopped using thimerosal in vaccines in the early 90's, but it does do a good job of showing that there isn't a solid link between vaccines and autism. Go to any credible organization's information about thimerosal and autism, and they all say the same: The causal link between autism and thimerosal has never been proven in a controlled setting.

On SIDS, especially the Japan thing: I did some research of my own because that claim bothered me, and what I found was greatly amusing:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over a five year period from 1970-1975 some 25-30 million doses of whole-cell pertussis vaccine were dispensed. Over this five year time period 11 claims were paid for what was termed Sudden Death. In 1975 the decision was made to raise the starting immunization age from 3 months to two years. Thus, from 1975 on no further claims were paid for Sudden Death related to immunization.
SIDS, by definition, is a sudden infant death under 12 months of age. Thus, when DPT immunization is delayed until 24 months of age any SIDS cases occurring cannot be attributed to the vaccine. Cherry is clearly discussing the paid claims issue and the fact that many of the claims were in reality related to other medical conditions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link I quoted from, but if you Google "SIDS Japan Lon Morgan", you'll find other related results. In those results, you can also find this link, which is co-authored by the same Lon Morgan as the former link, which cites a more extensive 1995 survey in New Zealand which showed a higher incidence of SIDS in unvaccinated children than vaccinated children.

One other thing: I am not satisfied with any argument that relies largely on skepticism and sowing seeds of distrust. Yes, the medical industry has been wrong and will probably still make mistakes in the future; however, the evidence in this instance to show that is very, very weak, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.
I hope that makes enough sense. I can give more information from the original post, if needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
On autism: I found information about a study done in Denmark in the 90's that showed "no difference in the incidence of autism between vaccinated and unvaccinated children". [link] I'm a little bit hesitant about this one, since other information I found said that Denmark stopped using thimerosal in vaccines in the early 90's, but it does do a good job of showing that there isn't a solid link between vaccines and autism. Go to any credible organization's information about thimerosal and autism, and they all say the same: The causal link between autism and thimerosal has never been proven in a controlled setting.

This takes care of that statement: http://weldon.house.gov/UploadedFile...donMDonIOM.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts