Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is almost 17 months old. I am pulling out my hair. He is an acrobat while nursing. He has even tried nursing upside down. He pulls my hair, something he has done since he was a newborn, that's his comfort, but lately he's been pulling harder and harder. He kicks me, pinches me. When he does this I pop him off and tell him that's a no no. I don't know what else to do. He then proceeds to throw a big tantrum. I am also so worried because we have a lot of family coming from ds's side and I am terrified for the flack I am going ot get for still nursing him. My plan with how to react is to say we are just doing what works best for us.
I am trying to teach ds to say nursies (what I've always called it) and last night dh said if he can say that then he's too old. GRRR I thought I had dh convinced of EN. But now I'm starting to doubt myself. I haven't had a moment to myself since he was born. He never took a bottle and he still nurses so much at night and about every 3 hours during the day. I guess I just need to take a deep breath. I am really stressed out about a lot of things and this is just the icing on the cake right now. Thanks for letting me vent, I do feel a lot better.

·
Registered
380 Posts
oh I have SO been there! First, its okay to set limits for a 17 month old nursing. It sounds like your troubles are not about nursing per say, but about life with a toddler in general, temper tantrums, and being consistant. I would try some of the books on the Gentle Discipline board and read some of their responces there.

You can also try a nursing necklace to give him something else to play with other than you. See my sig line for more info on that.

It is like anything else that you need to set limits with. Weaning will not help you in my opinion.

It is hard to EN with a non-supportive family, and sorry to hear about your dh. Just keep working with him and eduacting him on the benefits of EN. He will see that it is the right thing for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.