Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just returned to work today. I breast fed exclusively for the whole 8 weeks I was off work. I am pumping but I don't think it is going very well. (I pumped at home as well - that went really really well.) I would like to continue nursing for a long time. My right breast, I usually get about 3-4 ounces out. My left breast, I get barely anything out of. Maybe 1-2 ounces. I use to pump after feedings and freeze what was left. I also got a lot of milk early in the morning. The one morning I got 12 ounces out after she ate. I would really like to stockpile milk so she won't ever need formula. I read a couple of posts here and saw that some things can help make your milk increase? Can you guys please tell me some cheap ways to help increase my supply? Any advice on how to get both sides to produce the same amount of milk? I feel a little uncomfortable pumping at work, but I am trying to make myself relax during the pumps. Today I got 12 ounces out. Most of that was from my right side.... I don't want to be lopsided.

How often should I pump to keep my supply up? I am trying for every 2-3 hours... Is that too much or not enough? I really want my nursing to continue as well as it was while I was home......

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I would try to keep pumping every 2-3 hours, that's pretty good

Things to increase supply without going herbal:

1. massage/compression while pumping
2. oatmeal

3. extra pump sessions whenever possible

Now, please please please don't say 1-2 ounces is barely anything! That's AWESOME! Lots of women fight tooth and nail to get that much on BOTH sides combined, let alone one side!

Keep it up and come back if you need more help!

BTW, if you need a discreet pumping method, I loved my pump bras... I cut slits in the front and slipped my horns in and it was so nice
Handsfree! I could pump as much as I needed because I could do other things while pumping

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I doubt you will ever get the same amount from both sides. I am pumping for my third child now, and never with any of them was I able to proiduce evenly. My left side is the same as your left. Not as good as the right. i think mainly it is because the flow on my left is so much slower than the flow on my right. I was able to pump lots of milk when dd was a baby, but now I guess I am desensitized to the pump or something. I have to fight with my boobs and the pump to get any out. It took me four sessions at work yesterday to get out a 5 oz bottle.

Some people say it isnt anything more than Kook Aid, but Gatorade helps me alot. Oatmeal is great. I was pumping alot of milk in the mornings and at night after Isaac was born, but I started slacking and as a result, my supply dropped. I still make what he needs, but not alot of extra, like I used to. So keep at the pumping, stay well hydrated and of course, eating right really keeps your supply good.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I used blessed thistle but one of the biggest things that helped me was to pump one side while babe was nursing other side ( I know that can't be done while you are at work)
can you take a picture to work to help with letdown?
and water water and more water

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Good lord, ditto on the "don't feel bad about two ounces" comment. I don't think I ever got twelve ounces in a day when my son was nursing (as opposed to pumping and bottle feeding) much less at once. I think you'll be okay, especially if you can continue to pump every 2-3 hours and BF exclusively when you're at home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your support. I have no real support so I'm not really sure what is good and not. I just assumed that I should be able to pump a lot out of each boob at once. I have been told by others that they were able to pump out 4 ounces from both sides after a feeding. I am just really worried that since I am back at work that my supply will decrease and I won't be able to exclusivly breast feed. I have read many magazines and stuff about breast feeding. I read one where a woman used her favorite song to pump to and that worked so the whole time I was home I would sing rock a by baby while feeding. I now hum that song when I pump and it helps my let down. (Is that silly?)

Is flavored oatmeal okay? How much of it should I eat? Also, how much water should I drink? Today I got three water bottles, a glass of sparkling grape juice and a glass of milk. Should I be drinking more than that? Anything else besides oatmeal to increase my milk? I hope to eventually pump enough to give her 8 ounce bottles when she is ready for them...... I really want to nurse longer than I did with my son. He and I went about 6 months and then thrush got the better of us and he didn't want the breast anymore...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
A bowl of oatmeal a day (yes, flavored is ok) should do the trick. I second the pump bra idea. I wouldn't surive if I couldn't go hands free.

Also bring a couple of pictures of your babe to work. I have heard of women calling their voicemail and letting their baby cry or coo or babble into the phone. Then, they listen to it while they are pumping!

I would also recommend joining the Yahoo group; Pumpmoms. There are a lot of working moms there, and they have a wealth of information.

Finally, I've been pumping exclusively for my baby and I typically get an ounce more from my left side than my right. Don't worry about lopsidedness. Look at your output on a daily basis to get an accurate picture of what you are producing.

I know how hard pumping is. You are doing a fabulous job!

Bec

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Pumping gets easier!

2 bits of advice:

1. Breast compression while pumping
2. Make sure your nipple is centered in the horn - it still takes me a couple of times to get it right -this makes a huge difference

Also, you will pump different amounts at different times of the day. I have a huge drop in my 3 pm session versus my 9 am session. And I never get the same amount from both sides!!!

A good book is Nursing Mother, Working Mother

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use oatmeal, the quaker oats kind that comes in a cannister, to increase supply. I add brown sugar and/or maple syrup to make it edible.
I also take fenugreek when I need a quick increase in supply.
About the different sides, I SAH so I rarely pump, but when I do I always get more from my left side. I have a heavier let down on the left, and pump out 2-3 oz in a matter of minutes. It would take 2 sittings to get 2-3 oz from the right side. My left side is not bigger, I am not lopsided. Unless of course I do one side at a time, then one side is firmer than the other but it's not really noticeable through my shirt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
On the side where you don't get as much, does your babe by any chance nurse on that side last in the morning? I always find that to be the case.

Don't worry about 8 oz bottles at this point - it sounds like you're producing enough for the next day plus you have a good freezer stash. Your babe may not ever take more than a few ounces at a time. Both of mine just took what they needed to make it through the day & gave up the bottle completely by about 7 months. They would just make up for it at night as we co-slept.

Sounds like you're doing great!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just wanted to also add my support
You're doing awesome! Pumping every 2-3 hours is about right - I am still doing that now. I almost never get more than 1 1/2 ounces from my left side. I have a "slow flow" nipple on that side, lol! Build up a good stash for those days when illness or something else hurts your milk supply. My toughest times pumping are right after I have an illness or my daughter has been sick. If she doesn't eat as well on the weekends, my supply drops and then I have a devil of a time bringing it back up during the week - so it's nice to have a "stash" for those days when you can't quite keep up.

You're doing great. Just wanted to give you some support!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.... Yesterday I only pumped 11 ounces and today I am already at 11 and a half... I just see my stash in the freezer dropping and I am worried.... This week at the daycare she has only been drinking about 2-3 ounces at a time so I think they are wasting a lot of my milk..... Can I ask them to just make her 2 ounce bottles at a time and keep adding as she wants it? I pretty much have all 4 ounce bags so they waste at the daycare..... The bags are expensive, (as we all know) so I don't want to only store 2-3 ounces at a time in the freezer..... What does everyone else do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is breast compression exactly??? Also... I just got the IUD inserted on Monday and I haven't stopped bleeding from it or this can this be my period? I think I read an article how your period can interfer with your milk supply? Is that true?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your baby is still little, so I would store milk in some 2 oz, 3 oz, and 4 oz bags. Mix it up. My 11 month old takes 3 oz, 4 oz, and 5 oz bags. You can ask them at daycare to pour only 2 oz in a bottle and then save the rest until they know whether your baby will drink it all. But I had a hard time and had to keep reminding daycare to do it. But eventually, my DD started drinking the whole bottle every time and now very little is wasted.

Take Fenugreek if you need it to keep up with her. Or pump once at night before you go to bed. I now have to pump once at night to keep up with DD.

I do breast compressions because it speeds up emptying the breast completely. When the "spray" starts to taper off and becomes just drops, I squeeze and massage so that the milk starts spraying again. (gently!) Work your way around the breast to empty all the milk ducts. If you can spare the time to pump a little longer, continue pumping another 5 minutes or so after it seems that the flow has stopped completely. You might be able to get another letdown and get another half ounce to an ounce of milk out. This second letdown stimulates more milk production so the next day should be even better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most days I can't spend another five minutes pumping..... Or at least until I get my own office... I do massage, gently squeeze my breasts when the let down is over. I am still getting a lot out when I pump, but I want to make sure I keep up with her. I really want the bf to work out with her....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts