Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Just wanted to also add my support
You're doing awesome! Pumping every 2-3 hours is about right - I am still doing that now. I almost never get more than 1 1/2 ounces from my left side. I have a "slow flow" nipple on that side, lol! Build up a good stash for those days when illness or something else hurts your milk supply. My toughest times pumping are right after I have an illness or my daughter has been sick. If she doesn't eat as well on the weekends, my supply drops and then I have a devil of a time bringing it back up during the week - so it's nice to have a "stash" for those days when you can't quite keep up.

You're doing great. Just wanted to give you some support!

· Registered
186 Posts
Your baby is still little, so I would store milk in some 2 oz, 3 oz, and 4 oz bags. Mix it up. My 11 month old takes 3 oz, 4 oz, and 5 oz bags. You can ask them at daycare to pour only 2 oz in a bottle and then save the rest until they know whether your baby will drink it all. But I had a hard time and had to keep reminding daycare to do it. But eventually, my DD started drinking the whole bottle every time and now very little is wasted.

Take Fenugreek if you need it to keep up with her. Or pump once at night before you go to bed. I now have to pump once at night to keep up with DD.

I do breast compressions because it speeds up emptying the breast completely. When the "spray" starts to taper off and becomes just drops, I squeeze and massage so that the milk starts spraying again. (gently!) Work your way around the breast to empty all the milk ducts. If you can spare the time to pump a little longer, continue pumping another 5 minutes or so after it seems that the flow has stopped completely. You might be able to get another letdown and get another half ounce to an ounce of milk out. This second letdown stimulates more milk production so the next day should be even better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.