Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just returned to work today. I breast fed exclusively for the whole 8 weeks I was off work. I am pumping but I don't think it is going very well. (I pumped at home as well - that went really really well.) I would like to continue nursing for a long time. My right breast, I usually get about 3-4 ounces out. My left breast, I get barely anything out of. Maybe 1-2 ounces. I use to pump after feedings and freeze what was left. I also got a lot of milk early in the morning. The one morning I got 12 ounces out after she ate. I would really like to stockpile milk so she won't ever need formula. I read a couple of posts here and saw that some things can help make your milk increase? Can you guys please tell me some cheap ways to help increase my supply? Any advice on how to get both sides to produce the same amount of milk? I feel a little uncomfortable pumping at work, but I am trying to make myself relax during the pumps. Today I got 12 ounces out. Most of that was from my right side.... I don't want to be lopsided.

How often should I pump to keep my supply up? I am trying for every 2-3 hours... Is that too much or not enough? I really want my nursing to continue as well as it was while I was home......

Thanks so much!

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your support. I have no real support so I'm not really sure what is good and not. I just assumed that I should be able to pump a lot out of each boob at once. I have been told by others that they were able to pump out 4 ounces from both sides after a feeding. I am just really worried that since I am back at work that my supply will decrease and I won't be able to exclusivly breast feed. I have read many magazines and stuff about breast feeding. I read one where a woman used her favorite song to pump to and that worked so the whole time I was home I would sing rock a by baby while feeding. I now hum that song when I pump and it helps my let down. (Is that silly?)

Is flavored oatmeal okay? How much of it should I eat? Also, how much water should I drink? Today I got three water bottles, a glass of sparkling grape juice and a glass of milk. Should I be drinking more than that? Anything else besides oatmeal to increase my milk? I hope to eventually pump enough to give her 8 ounce bottles when she is ready for them...... I really want to nurse longer than I did with my son. He and I went about 6 months and then thrush got the better of us and he didn't want the breast anymore...

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.... Yesterday I only pumped 11 ounces and today I am already at 11 and a half... I just see my stash in the freezer dropping and I am worried.... This week at the daycare she has only been drinking about 2-3 ounces at a time so I think they are wasting a lot of my milk..... Can I ask them to just make her 2 ounce bottles at a time and keep adding as she wants it? I pretty much have all 4 ounce bags so they waste at the daycare..... The bags are expensive, (as we all know) so I don't want to only store 2-3 ounces at a time in the freezer..... What does everyone else do?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is breast compression exactly??? Also... I just got the IUD inserted on Monday and I haven't stopped bleeding from it or this can this be my period? I think I read an article how your period can interfer with your milk supply? Is that true?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most days I can't spend another five minutes pumping..... Or at least until I get my own office... I do massage, gently squeeze my breasts when the let down is over. I am still getting a lot out when I pump, but I want to make sure I keep up with her. I really want the bf to work out with her....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.