Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up with the tradition of an Easter Basket and want to do the same thing for my dd, but mine was always full of candy. I never remember getting any toys, just candy. While I don't want to deprive her of the experience of getting some Easter candy, I don't want that to be the focus of her Easter Basket. So I need some ideas of alternatives to candy for my 22 month old dd. What are you going to put in your dc Easter Basket?

·
Registered
483 Posts
We always get the kids their spring/summer outdoor toys for Easter. Sandbox toys that wear out, bubbles, baseballs, bats, sunglasses, magnifying glasses, kites, etc. One year I bought them all kid sized lawn chairs. Last year we got them all personalized beach towels for the pool. This year I'm getting dd (14 months) a Detroit Tigers outfit!! We're big baseball fans!

I can't wait to go shopping for their things this year!!!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Here's what is in dd's (2 yo) basket this year:
It's a fabric basket (not Easter-ish) so it can be re-used.

-Mr.Potato Head (just a single one, it cost $5)
-Play doh
-Bubbles
-Egg shaped chalk
-A Peter Rabbit board book
-A box of organic raisens
-one organic lollipop
-a small box of organic animal crackers
-a small bag of organic chedder bunnies
-2 organic fruit strips

All nestled in some beautifully dyed playsilks!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
This year the girls are getting beach bags filled with flip flops, beach toys, books, shorts outfit, sidewalk chalk, and coverups. They will get plenty of candy from the Easter Egg hunt at the grandparents.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Our son this year is getting the play sand that won't dry out
My husband built him a play table for his birthday so he finally has somewhere to use it....we don't do a lot of candy either.....Playdoh is always good as is chalk.....

·
Registered
738 Posts
dd is 18m. we're gonna hide eggs in the yard filled with food for the chipmunks and squirrels for her to put in their bowls, and also quarters so she can use the food dispenser at the petting zoo and feed the animals there too. she'll probably be getting a wagon as her main gift. the easter ferret is the one who hides the eggs at our house

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I was going to do books. I haven't given them any candy yet, so that's out. I'm sure the ILs will give the girls some chocolate that DH & I will enjoy.
I think I may also give them new bath toys. I'm getting sick of ours. I got them cute easter baskets that we can reuse year to year. I think I still have mine from growing up in a box in the garage.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
still not sure what we're doing for DD (16 months), but I've been thinking of things like:

--stickers
--board books
--finger puppets
--egg shakers
--a ball
--a blown up balloon or 2 (she's crazy for balloons these days!)
--wooden play food

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
A creative mama friend of mine did something for her daughter last year that I thought was so beautiful and special. She took a wicker "easter" basket, lined it in plastic and a little potting soil, and then she planted it in grass and yellow daffodils. She tucked a little stuffed bunny, some chicks and gnomes and egg shaped chalk amongst the flowers. It was amazing and her daughter loved it.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Well,so far all I have is the "basket".It's a big dump truck that I think my gal will really like.I was thinking about making her a little silly bunny to go inside.I know my mom and probably my sister will give her candy so I don't think I'll do any.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
We're decluttering in our house, so I'm mostly buying my kids useful things for Easter. They are both getting a swimsuit and sunglasses, a spring/summer-themed book, and one of their favorite candies -- but just one!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Instead of candy I am going to fill little bags with coins,cause they both love to put money in their banks. They're both going to get some playsilks,a puppet instead of a bunny rabbit,and some misc other toys and games. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
The coolest thing I ever got in my Easter basket as a child (my dad was a dentist, my mom a dental nurse - no candy for us!!!) was an Abba cassette.

We usually got little toys (I remember a significant number of smurfs), music cassettes (pre-CD days), those cheap little chicks with the beaks that fell off, stuffed bunnies, and shredded cello wrap which was super-cool and needed to be carefully hoarded, for some reason.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My toddler's Easter basket will have:

a grapefruit Zum bar (grapefruit-scented goat's milk soap. It's pink!)

a box of organic herbal tea

a pair of giraffe scissors

a package of four miniature wooden clothespins with Easter characters on them (bunny with painted eggs, chicks, etc.) She has a clothesline frame so these'll see some action. Just happened to see a pack of these on the toy shelf at our local co-op.

a cool book of retro Easter stickers (ordered from Magic Cabin)

a small velour bunny

some nesting eggs

a collection (set of 4) of nursery rhyme board books by Salley Mavor

a pair of Burpee 'Lil Sprouts "wet soil" latex-coated gardening gloves for kids http://www.burpeegloves.com/burpee/P...ail&Group=6220

a 5" mini springform cake pan set with tube insert (with recipes for 5 inch cakes!)

a set of tiny pie tins (also ovenproof for "real" baking)

a small brush for scrubbing hands and cleaning nails while handwashing

Maybe a few Furnis finger puppets

a rabbit hand puppet

This gorgeous Easter bunny

and the Jellycat stuffed Bunglie Bunny, as well. (Just like this guy. My girl is a bunny fan and I sort of couldn't resist this classic-looking pinky.)

A Ladybirds multi-match game (if there's room for it. Otherwise, I'm saving this to give to her for a big car trip we're taking later in April.)

possibly something small from our local hand-dipped and vintage-mold chocolate shop (but that might just be my romanticizing....I don't think she'd "need" anything of the sort in her basket, or that she'd miss having candy at all.)

I might throw in a punching balloon leftover from her birthday party. (She loves 'em.) But if hers from the party still is kicking around (it is now), I'll save the extra for sometime later.

She went to an Easter egg hunt at church last year. They had one piece of candy in each egg, and I went through and switched the candy out for pennies. I hope I can do that again this year (last year, she didn't know the eggs opened so it was no big deal to make the switch while her dad was getting her into her carseat.) She loves getting pennies for her bank!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Someone mentioned the Hide-'N-Squeak-Eggs -- just wanted to point out that we LOVE them. I have bought 4 sets as presents, and they are always a massive hit. Years of use.

I know a 5-year-old that still uses them in the play kitchen, where she pretends to break the eggs on the edge of a bowl.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.