Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some info..

anyone have an article, or statistics on how many baby boys are circ'd in this country, and how many get no anesthetic?/
thanks!

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
That's going to be hard- how many will say 'yes, we use anesthetic' when it is half-assed topical EMLA cream put on immediately before circ, a sugar soother, wine, or other methods not one adult would acquiesce to as sufficient for their own surgery?

Even a block requires a NEEDLE in a newborn's penis (when I read about someone freaking about a heel stick & allowing circ, I throw up a little in my mouth).

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
There was some lady here at my school doing research about newborns & pain, she mentioned circ in the one talk I heard from her (it was just an overview of everything she was working on) but I bet if I could look her up she'd have some info on this!
Link

Quote:
Dr. Barbara Clancy, Department of Biology, took six biology and two math students to the INBRE Student Undergraduate Research Conference in Fayetteville, Feb. 24-25. They made the following poster presentations:

"Adverse Effects of Neonatal Pain Occur During A Critical Window and Are Retained Throughout Adulthood." Student presenters included Shannon Palmer, Heather Delahunt, Pia Saballos, Sonja Isbell, Jason Talburt and Adam Lucas. Mentors were Clancy (UCA) and K.J.S. Anand (Arkansas Children's Hospital).
Her Research page

Quote:
We are also attempting to understand how pain in newborns affects the manner in which brain architecture develops, connects, matures, and ages, with particular focus on the layers and connectivity of cells in the cortex, and the role of the subplate neurons.
In her talk she talked about circ without anestetic, I'm gonna send her an email and tell her that I remembered her lecture and ask for stats on this.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by email response
HI April

Although I don't know any place these data are counted where they are easily accessed, here are a few articles to start with (from goggle - I think you can just click on them to get more information)

] Pain in Neonates
KJS Anand, BJ Stevens, PJ McGrath - 2000 - books.google.com
... Interest in the physiological responses to pain in preterm and term infants during
heel- pricks or circumcision dates from the 1980s when marked increases in ...
Cited by 27 - Related Articles - Web Search - Library Search

Medical Perspectives on Routine Circumcision: A review of current literature, and recommendations - group of 2 »
AA Samuel - hawaii.edu
... Unfortunately, the best approach to this complication is to raise the child as a
female! Pain. Circumcision is a painful procedure11, even in newborns. ...
Related Articles - View as HTML - Web Search

Short-and Long-term Impact of Neonatal Pain and StressMore Than an Ouchie
RW Hall, KJS Anand - NeoReviews, 2005 - neoreviews.aappublications.org
... Taddio A, Katz J, Hersich AL, Koren G. Effect of neonatal circumcision on pain response
during routine vaccination. Lancet. 1994;344:77-80[Medline]. ...
Related Articles - Web Search

Treatment of Pain and Stress in the NeonateWhen and How - group of 2 »
S Khurana, RW Hall, KJS Anand - NeoReviews, 2005 - neoreviews.aappublications.org
... In neonates, EMLA has been shown to decrease pain during circumcision, venipuncture,
arterial puncture, lumbar puncture, and percutaneous venous catheter ...
Related Articles - Web Search

Barbara Clancy, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Biology
University of Central Arkansas, Conway, Arkansas
Adjunct Professor, Neurobiology & Developmental Sciences
UAMS College of Medicine, Little Rock, Arkansas
If there was an easy way to get the data, I bet she'd know.
I didn't go in and fix the links but I'm sure you could google them yourself. Sorry I didn't find anything

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I rad somewhere, and I can't remember where, that something like 30 out of every 100 kids are circ'd with no anesthesia. I will try and find the source of those numbers.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just have a feeling the data is not availble, or even recorded. And if so, I would imagine it is inaccurate. Many doctors would say they used some sort of pain relief, considering that to be anesthetia.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just think about the topical stuff they put on my gums at the dentist BEFORE they do the injections to actually numb me. I can not imagine getting dental work with just the topical. Newborn genitals are a bazillion times more sensitive and the procedure is a bazillion times more invasive and painful.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I saw stats somewhere about a year ago (someone had posted them here), and yes - they will consider sugar water to be "pain relief".
: I think it was only something like 11% that had used an actual dorsal block?

EMLA...pth. They may a well use freaking Orajel.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The Standford University circ video shows circ with anesthesia - 2 injections into the penis, I am not sure if this is the dorsal block or something else. Baby cries lots!

(video was here http://newborns.stanford.edu/Gomco.html
" the most beautiful penises are those that don't have much mucous membrane showing" caution: graphic!) Note, the video is now "temporarily unavailable. Hope someone on "our side" made a copy!.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a study from the AAP (1998):

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or.../full/101/6/e5

Conclusions. A substantial number of PEDs are performing circumcisions, and they are most likely to use anesthesia (71%), followed by FPs (56%), then OBs (25%). With recent recognition of the importance of pain reduction in neonatal procedures and the lack of substantiated contraindications to newborn anesthetic use, additional education of current practitioners, residents, and parents is required to increase the use of anesthesia for circumcision.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, every circ I've ever asked about or seen, was done by an OB the same day or the day after the baby was born.

With no pain relief at all.

·
Registered
779 Posts
:puke :puke

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamamom View Post
Honestly, every circ I've ever asked about or seen, was done by an OB the same day or the day after the baby was born.

With no pain relief at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.