Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bothers me as I have 2 other children....and they ALWAYS went WHEN I nursed. This is my 3rd baby and SO DIFFERENT. (4 months old) The DR. told me that up to 7 days then to be concerned. HAPPY BABY all the time, except when that day comes. What can you suggest to make it happen more often. Eating healthier now than EVER in my life, so I can't see that being it....as I didn't eat this healthy with the other 2.
Baby went Mon Wed and Fri last week.....AND THAT WAS ODD. AND the FIRST time. HAsn't gone since last FRI... so I knew it was coming.. today baby was uncomfortable and finally went. It seems as if pushing is happening...and I just didn't think babies had to push at this age.....since it is seedy, liquidy poo.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Please consider food allergies/sensitivities. Seriously, this will often cause digestive irregularity.

My poor milk allergic DS was constipated by milk products in my diet. Not that he had hard poop, it was runny BF poo, just he went days between poops and was fussy, etc.

I've heard other EC moms talk of corn and wheat and soybean sensitivity causing similar issues.

I'd personally start with dairy, and if that's not it move on from there. You will have to eliminate ALL dairy and milk ingredients from your diet for 6-8 weeks, and read labels religiously to avoid whey, casein, sodium caseinate, lactose, butter, or any other milk derived ingredients. It takes 6-8 weeks for all traces of the milk protein to work out of your system and the baby's. If it hasn't improved after 6-8 weeks, it's probably something else.

The good news is, since you are nursing, your baby will probably handle whatever it is much better when the gut has had time to mature. Many children grow out of mild sensitivities to foods by one year-five years old.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would say don't worry too much about it. Our baby is 5 months old and some weeks we won't see a poo for days. I have noticed, however, that sice we started EC at 4 months, she has gotten more regular. But... she needs to sit on her potty for a few minutes (usually reading her favorite book) befor things start to move. I think maybe she was retaining because she didn't like pooping in her pants? This idea is reinforced by the fact that she clearly is very, very happy about the potty.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I did not ec with ds, but he often went as long as 10 days between poos at that age with no ill effects. However, he wasn't even bothered on the days he actually pooed. My friend had an interesting ped who told her to always drink some tea, chai maybe, to help keep her baby regular. PM me if you want to know, and I will ask her.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
sometimes, esp when a baby is growing realy quickly, they can get spines can get out of allignment and they need a chiropractic adjustment, if teh spinal probelm is near the area that controls the nerves of the digestive system, then they can have symptoms like constipation......

we have been going to a chiro on a reg basis since dd was 6 months old, and she ahs never been ill, never even had any over the coutner drugs, etc

there have been many suggestions on MDC about the over health benifits to chiro care...you could do a search to read more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not that I am SOOO worried, just that this is my 3rd child and the other two went like clockwork with feeding. This little one, only goes every 6 days, seems like a lot of days in between. I am exclusivly BF'ing. NO i am not EC'ing.... just thought this was a good place to put this since those that EC would have a better idea of how often their babies go.

Thanks though for advice.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. Food sensitivities seem like a good thought to entertain. But just to add my 2 cents, at a parenting group I used to go the moderator (a lactation consultant and nurse) always said that exclusively breastfed babies could have huge variations in how often they had a bowel movement. Some could go a few times a day, some could go once or twice a week, and all those variations are normal. Plus, my experience with my dd is that she has times where she will go a few days or more and other times she will go more than once a day. I used to keep a little chart on the wall by the changing table but then decided I was being way too ocd about it :LOL and stopped charting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.